The Wii Parental Control settings offer you a means to manage what Wii content is accessible to the console users. If you apply Parental Controls, you will be prompted to set a 4-digit PIN which will allow you to adjust the Parental Controls settings in the future and also allow you to access content that may be restricted by the Parental Controls settings. The Parental Controls default setting is "OFF" which means that the console will allow all content unless you change the settings. There is one Parental Controls setting per console, so it is recommended that you put the settings on the most secure that you need for your family; you can then share the PIN with users who may be allowed access to blocked content.
To adjust the Parental Controls settings
- Access the Wii System Settings.
- Click on the blue arrow to reach the Wii System Settings 2 menu options.
- Choose "Parental Controls" and select "Yes."
- Enter the 4-digit PIN and select OK. If you have forgotten the PIN, select " I forgot" to answer the secret question. (Answers to the secret question are case sensitive.) You will now be in the Parental Controls menu, and can change the following items:
Game Settings and PIN
- You can adjust the "Highest Game Rating Allowed" to be played
on the Wii console. This setting is based on the Entertainment Software Rating Board ("ESRB") game rating categories. Please note that Parental Controls settings do not affect Nintendo GameCube Game Discs.
- If your Wii console is also connected to the internet, you have the ability to place limits on the following online features, found in the "Other Settings":
- Internet Channel
If you have downloaded the Opera browser (subject to availability) via the Wii Shop Channel, it is possible to allow or restrict use of the browser.
- News Channel
Control access to the News Channel.
- Online Communication and User Created Content
Controls sending and receiving of messages from the Wii console and in online games where open communication is available, as well as controls the exchange of user created content in compatible games and channels (Wii Message Board, Check Mii Out Channel, etc.). Note that system updates will be delivered regardless of this setting.
- Use of Points
This setting controls the use of Wii Points, which are used to acquire downloads from the Wii Shop Channel. If this setting is on, users will be required to enter the 4-digit PIN in order to use Wii Points to download items from the Wii Shop Channel.
- Confirm the setting is as desired by clicking the "confirm" button on the bottom right corner.
If Parental Controls are applied and a user attempts to play or download
content that exceeds the Parental Controls setting, the user will be prompted
to enter the Parental Controls PIN to temporarily disable the Parental
Controls. The PIN will be necessary each time a user tries to access restricted
content. If your settings only apply to certain members of your household,
share the Parental Controls PIN with users who may have unrestricted use
of the system.
You will be prompted to select and answer a secret question that will
allow you to retrieve a forgotten Parental Controls PIN. If you forget
your PIN, please follow the prompts on screen to answer your secret
question. If you are unable to retrieve your PIN by answering your
secret question, please call Nintendo Consumer Service: 1-800-255-3700.