Best Buy Return and Exchange FAQ
What is Best Buy's return period?
Are there any items that are not returnable?
How can I return my purchase?
How will I be refunded for my purchase?
How can I return my Marketplace item?
What type of ID is required for returning or exchanging an item in store?
Why does Best Buy require an ID for returns and exchanges?
What if I'm returning an item that included a free gift, or my item was part of a bundle or package?
How can I return my mobile phone with a plan?
What should I do if my order arrives damaged, or if the wrong item was shipped?
Will my exchange or return request ever be denied?
Are there any other situations I should be aware of concerning exchange and return policies?
Return or exchange your item up to 15 days from the original purchase date. My Best Buy™ Elite members have 30 days and My Best Buy™ Elite Plus members have 45 days from the original purchase date to return eligible products.
Yes. The following items are nonreturnable:
- Labor, delivery and/or completed Geek Squad® installation services
- Some prepaid cards, digital subscriptions or services
- Consumable items such as food, drinks and batteries
- Ink/Toner cartridges that have had their factory sealed packaging opened
- Items that are damaged or abused
- Items that are missing accessories such as remote controls, cords and cables
- Etched or otherwise personalized items
- Opened computer software, movies, music and video games can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be returned for a refund
- Downloadable digital content (such as games and movies)
- Microphones, harmonicas and similar products
- Marketplace items
- Non-defective special orders.
- Return and exchange shipments from outside the country
You can return items to any Best Buy store in the US. You can also return online purchases by mail.
If you are returning a scheduled home-delivery item (e.g., TV or major appliance), please call 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) to arrange a pickup time.
Returns In Store:
- Include all original packing materials, manuals and accessories
- Bring your receipt or packing slip and a valid photo ID. We accept these forms of identification:
- US, Canadian or Mexican driver's license
- US state-issued ID
- Canadian province-issued ID
- Matricula Consular
- US military-issued ID
- US Laser Visa
- US permanent resident ID
Returns By Mail (online purchases only)
You can also return online purchases through the mail so long as it is shipped to us from within the United States of America. To return your online purchase by mail:
- Pack your return in the original shipping package, if possible.
- Include the packing slip and return label,and indicate the reason for the return.
- Include all original packing materials, manuals and accessories.
- Send your return to:
BestBuy.com Return Center
14405 County Road 212
Findlay, OH 45840
For proof of delivery, we recommend that you return items via UPS or insured USPS. Best Buy does not accept international return and exchange shipments.
For online purchases:
Refunds will be credited to the original credit card or PayPal account. Any amounts deducted from a gift card will be credited to the gift card used.
For in-store purchases:
Your refund will generally be in the same form as the original purchase. However, when the item was paid for with cash or debit card without a major credit card logo in an amount greater than $600, or paid for by check in an amount greater than $250, the refund will be in the form of a check mailed within 10 business days of the return. Any amounts deducted from a gift card will be credited to the gift card used.
Please contact the Marketplace Seller's customer service department. All Marketplace returns and exchanges must be done through the seller. Marketplace items cannot be returned to Best Buy.
We accept the following forms of identification: US, Canadian or Mexican driver's license; US state-issued ID; Canadian province-issued ID; Matricula Consular; US military-issued ID; passport; US Laser Visa; or US permanent resident ID.
To help keep prices low for all our customers, Best Buy tracks exchanges and returns on an individual level. Information is electronically secured for the purposes of returns management, in accordance with state and federal laws regarding consumer privacy.
You will receive a full refund by returning all items purchased. However, if you choose to keep the free item and/or the bundled/packaged item(s), the value of those items will be subtracted from your return.
When returning a mobile phone or device with a plan, you are responsible for ensuring that your service is cancelled with the carrier. There are two ways to return your device and cancel your service:
- Return the phone to a Best Buy store. Be sure to tell the store associate that you want to cancel your service.
- Or call Best Buy Mobile at 1-877-702-2211 (6 a.m. to midnight, CT) for instructions on how to return the phone by mail. Tell the phone associate that you want to cancel your service.
If you don't cancel your service, you may incur additional charges from your carrier. All carrier charges are the full responsibility of the customer.
We recommend that you return such items to the store. If you prefer to return the item by mail, please call us for special instructions at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289). We will cover all reasonable and customary ground shipping fees.
While rarely exercised, Best Buy does reserve the right to deny any exchange or return request.
Yes. There are times when we conduct "tests" and use different policies. When a different policy is in effect, you will be informed of those differences prior to purchase.
Updated: October 20, 2013
Still have questions? See our Return & Exchange Policy >