A Brighter Summer Day [Criterion Collection] [Blu-ray] [2 Discs] [Mandarin/Tai] 
- SKU: 30187211
- Release Date: 03/22/2016
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- New audio commentary featuring critic Tony Rayns
- New inteview with actor Chang Chen
- Our Time, Our Story, a 113-minute documentary from 2002 about the New Taiwan Cinema movement, featuring interviews with filmmakers Hou Hsiao-hsien, Sylvia Chang, and Tsai Ming-liang, among others
- Videotaped 1992 performance of Yang's play Likely Consequence
Edward Yang's fifth picture is a novelistic exploration of the meanings and contradictions of Taiwanese cultural identity. Set in 1960, and based on a true incident weighing heavily on Yang's own youth, the film -- which, in its unedited form, clocks in at just under four hours -- primarily focuses on the life of S'ir, a high school student whose civil servant father was among the millions of Chinese mainlanders who fled to Taipei in the wake of 1949's civil uprisings. In the picture's opening scenes, it is revealed that S'ir is teetering on the brink of academic expulsion; like so many of the film's characters, he is clearly yearning for a stronger sense of belonging, and as a result joins a youth gang, much to the detriment of his life at home and at school. In time, he falls for Ming, a flirtatious girl with domestic troubles of her own; this ill-fated couple's circle of friends also includes Honey, an exiled gang leader, Si'r's best friend Xiao Ma, and Cat, a younger boy obsessed with Elvis Presley. (The lyrics to Presley's "Are You Lonesome Tonight?," phonetically transcribed by Si'r's older sister, lend the film its title.) ~ Jason Ankeny, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Chang Kuo-Shu - Father
- Elaine Jin - Mother
- Wang Juan - Older Sister
- Chang Han - Older Brother
- Jiang Xihong