Ali: Fear Eats the Soul [Criterion Collection] [DVD] [German] 
- SKU: 7502561
- Release Date: 06/24/2003
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- New digital transfer, with restored image and sound
- Original theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- Introduction by director Todd Haynes
- Interviews with actress Brigitte Mira and editor Thea Eymèsz
- Short film Angst isst Seele auf (2002)
- From the BBC: "Signs of Vigorous Life: New German Cinema"
- Excerpt from The American Soldier featuring Margarethe von Trotta
- Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition
- 16-page booklet, featuring a new essay by critic Chris Fujiwara and a reprint of Michael Töteberg's introduction to the published screenplay
Rainer Werner Fassbinder not only directed Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (Angst essen Seele auf), but also scripted the film, designed the sets, and produced. Brigitte Mira heads the cast as a lonely German cleaning woman, who enters into an affair with equally lonely--and much, much younger--Moroccan mechanic El Hedi Ben Salem. They marry, despite the shocked, bigoted reactions of those around them. This thinly disguised remake of Douglas Sirk's All That Heaven Allows (cult favorite Sirk was one of Fassbinder's personal heroes) won the international critic's prize at the Cannes Film Festival. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Brigitte Mira - Emmi
- El Hedi Ben Salem - Ali
- Barbara Valentin - Barbara
- Irm Hermann - Krista
- Peter Gauhe - Bruno