An Autumn Afternoon [Criterion Collection] [Blu-ray] [Japanese] 
- SKU: 26076297
- Release Date: 02/17/2015
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- Audio commentary featuring film scholar David Bordwell, author of Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema
- Excerpts from "Yasujiro Ozu and The Taste of Sake," a 1978 episode of the French television program Ciné regards, featuring critics Michael Ciment and Georges Perec, that looks back on Ozu's career
- New English subtitle translation
- PLUS: essays by critic Geoff Andrew and scholar Donald Richie
Director Yasujiro Ozu's final film, and a rare outing in color for him, continues his quietly observed explorations of family dynamics in postwar Japan. Frequent Ozu star Chishu Ryu plays Shuhei Hirayama, an aging widower whose three children each depend upon him in varying degrees. The eldest, Kazuo, who is married, is a spendthrift who purchases a new set of golf clubs, then hits up his indulgent dad for a loan to buy a refrigerator. The middle child, daughter Michiko, is a 24-year-old still living at home and happy to be the domestic fulcrum between her father and her younger brother, Koichi, a willful teenager. Shuhei's conviction that Michiko isn't ready for marriage scares away a potential suitor in whom she is also interested. But the old man has a change of heart after a long drinking session with several buddies, who warn him that Michiko might wind up an old maid, trapped in the web of loneliness he knows all too well. He arranges a marriage for her, and she finds herself caught between her own desires and her duty to her father. The story ends on the late afternoon of Michiko's wedding day, as Shuhei returns to his home to face life on his own, resigned to the fact that his daughter's happiness comes before his own. ~ Tom Wiener, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Shima Iwashita - Michiko Hirayama
- Keiji Sada - Koichi Hirayama
- Mariko Okada - Akiko
- Nobuo Nakamura - Shuzo Kawai
- Chishu Ryu - Shuhei Hirayama