Before Night Falls [DVD] [Eng/Spa] 
- SKU: 4164362
- Release Date: 05/22/2001
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
Ratings & Reviews
- Widescreen version
- 5.1 Surround Sound
- 2.0 stereo Surround Sound
- 5.1 Spanish audio track
- English, Spanish, and French subtitles and English closed captions
- Commentary with director Julian Schnabel, actor Javier Bardem, screenwriter Lázaro Gómez-Carriles, composer Carter Burwell, and co-director of photography Xavier Pérez Grobert
- Documentary shorts: excerpts from "Improper Conduct," 1983 interview with Reinaldo Arenas, behind-the-scenes/home movie by Lola Schnabel, "Little Notes on Painting" artwork by Julian Schnabel
- Cast and crew filmographies
- Original theatrical trailer
- DVD-ROM content
- Link to original website
For his sophomore feature film effort, visual artist Julian Schnabel chronicles the life of one of Cuba's most charismatic literary voices, the late Reinaldo Arenas. Working with Arenas' friends and family, Schnabel recounts the author's impoverished rural upbringing and the intense love and support he receives from his mother (played by the director's wife, Olatz Lopez Garmendia). As a young man, Arenas (Javier Bardem) is singled out by his teachers and encouraged to further his skills as a writer -- no easy task, considering the Castro regime's censorship of any work considered to be subversive or anti-authoritarian. Still, the author manages to smuggle his work out of the country through friends, who arrange for one of his novels to be published in France. Not only persecuted for his creative beliefs, the openly gay Arenas is jailed on a bogus sex charge; he escapes internment only to be captured and persecuted later for his contraband dispatches. In 1980, Arenas is finally allowed to leave Cuba for the United States, where he achieves freedom of expression but not prosperity. Schnabel's first film was another portrait of an artist, 1996's Basquiat; Bardem made his name in several of director Pedro Almodovar's Spanish-language productions. Before Night Falls premiered at the 2000 Venice Film Festival, where it received the Best Actor and Grand Special Jury prizes, and made its North American premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival. Bardem would go on to receive a host of accolades, including an eventual Best Actor nomination at the 2001 Academy Awards. ~ Michael Hastings, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Javier Bardem - Reinaldo Arenas
- Olivier Martinez - Lazaro Gomez Carriles
- Andrea Di Stefano - Pepe Malas
- Johnny Depp - Bon Bon, Lieutenant Victor
0 out of 0 found this review helpful.