What is the Best Buy Trade-In Program?
The Best Buy Trade-In Program offers a convenient way for you to bring used electronics to trade in for Best Buy gift cards. You must be 18 years old or older (except in AL or NE, 19 or older) to take advantage of the program. The Trade-In Program is not available at all locations; check BestBuy.com/TradeIn to find the nearest participating store.
What can I trade in?
Check BestBuy.com/TradeIn for current offerings. We're constantly evaluating categories where we can offer consumers a great value for electronics they no longer use. We also offer free, responsible recycling for these and most other electronic products. For more information on our Recycling Program, see BestBuy.com/Recycle.
How much do I get for my stuff?
The age, condition, and accessories included will affect the trade-in value of your items. Use our estimator at BestBuy.com/TradeIn to get an estimate for what your item may be worth. Best Buy uses our proprietary technology to evaluate your device and provide a competitive offer.
How do you assess the condition of my product?
Our employees grade the condition and perform a functionality check. Minimally for a device to be accepted it must turn on and function as a user would normally expect. A battery powered device must run on its own battery.
GOOD. The device is fully functional with no technical problems and has no scratches, dents or dings. Shows signs of normal use.
FAIR. The device is fully functional with no technical problems, and only a few scratches due to normal use. If the device has a screen, there are no scratches or burned-out pixels. Moderate physical damage and fully functional.
BROKEN. Significant physical damage or does not function properly.
NOT ACCEPTED. The device has one or more of these issues so that the device is not eligible for trade-in, including but not limited to the following:
- It has functional damage or product failure that affects its ability to perform its function or impairs its use;
- It has been recalled or withdrawn from sale;
- It has water damage or damage from other fluids;
- It shows indications of a serial number modification or tampering;
- It has insect/rodent infestation/damage;
- The factory seal has been broken;
- A password has not been cleared;
- The device is still attached to an active account (mobile phones only);
- The "Find My Device" function has not been disabled.
RECYCLE. Eligible device does not have any monetary value but will be collected for free and sent to a recycling partner that complies with the highest industry standards regarding the reuse, refurbishment or recycling of products as well as waste disposal generated from the recycling process.
If the device is not accepted for trade-in, we can responsibly recycle it for free. To learn more about our Recycling Program, see BestBuy.com/Recycle.
For Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices that use iOS 7 and above, you must disable the "Find My iPhone/iPad/iPod" function before the start of the trade-in transaction.
How to Turn Off "Find My iPhone/iPad/iPod":
- Tap on your "Settings" icon and go to the "iCloud" section.
- If "Find My iPhone" is turned on, tap the slider to turn it off.
- Enter your Apple ID password and tap "Turn Off."
- Verify that "Find My iPhone" has been turned off.
For Android 5.0 or newer, you must reset device to factory settings before the start of the trade-in transaction.
- Make sure the device is connected to the Internet or to the mobile network.
- Open the Google Settings menu.
- Under "Personal," touch "Backup and reset." You may need to enter your pattern, PIN, or password.
- Under "Personal Data," touch "Factory data reset."
- Read the information on the screen and touch "Reset phone."
- If the screen is locked, you will need to enter your pattern, PIN, or password.
- When prompted, touch "Erase everything" to erase all data from your device's internal storage.
- When the device has finished erasing, select the option to reboot your device.
What do I need to include with my product?
Please include any manuals, accessories and packaging that came with the product. Missing accessories may impact the trade-in value offered. You are responsible for removing any data from your device before providing the product to us. The device must also have a visible serial number. Under no circumstances shall Best Buy be liable for any loss of any data or media from products delivered to us for trade in or recycling. For help on removing your personal data and wiping your hard drive clean, see this video from Geek Squad®.
Please also note that to be accepted for trade-in, your item must have a visible serial number. It should not be removed, scratched off or manipulated in any way.
What happens to the item I trade in?
Your device may be:
- Sold by Best Buy Secondary Markets channels or other Best Buy resale outlets (resale);
- Sent to Geek Squad® Service Centers (for parts and refurbished devices sold via the Best Buy outlets online); or
- Responsibly disposed of via our Recycling Program. See BestBuy.com/Recycle for details.
Why doesn't my Best Buy location participate in the Trade-In Program?
Best Buy complies with the laws of the communities in which we operate. Some jurisdictions have restrictions that impact our ability to offer the Trade-In Program at a particular store. We are constantly evaluating how we can best serve the communities where we work and live and we're working diligently to bring Trade-In to our customers when it makes sense for us to do so.BestBuy.com/TradeIn, see if your item is eligible for trade-in, and then get an estimate for what your item may be worth. We'll cover the costs for you to ship it to us and then, if we accept your item for trade-in, we'll send you an electronic Best Buy gift card for the value of your item.
Can I trade in more than one item at a time?
Our in-store Trade-In Program is intended for the convenience of our retail customers and is not designed to handle large volume transactions.
Customers are limited to no more than three (3) of the same product per day, except as noted below.* Customers interested in trading units in excess of this limit should contact Customer Service at email@example.com for a custom quote.
*We reserve the right to refuse any trade-in or limit quantities for any reason. These product limits are subject to change at any time. Please note that there may be additional product limits associated with promotions.
Limit 3 copies of the same title and platform in a 12-month period. For example, 3 copies of Madden for Xbox 360.
Limit 5 cell phones of the same model in a 12-month period.
All other products
Limit 3 items of the same model in a 12-month period.
Please note that we reserve the right to refuse any trade-in, or limit quantities, for any reason.
What if I am a business or institution?
Please contact us using our Trade-In Customer Service contact form, as our in-store program is for the personal, noncommercial use of our customers.
What does it mean that my Best Buy location "Accepts Trade-In with Receipt Only"?
In most of our Best Buy locations, no matter where you purchased your item, you can trade it in or recycle it. However, in some Best Buy locations we only accept trade-in of items for which you have a valid Best Buy receipt.
What if I feel that I should receive more value for my product? Will there be room for negotiation and feedback?
No. While we always welcome and value feedback from our customers, our trade-in values are fixed based on the type of product traded in, market value, and its condition.
How do I get started?
- Go to BestBuy.com/TradeIn.
- See if your item is eligible for trade-in.
- Get an estimate for what your device may be worth.
- Find a participating Best Buy location near you or complete your trade-in online.
How does in-store Trade-In work?
- Check to see if your item is eligible for trade-in and what it may be worth, then find participating Best Buy locations near you at BestBuy.com/TradeIn.
- Bring your qualifying electronics, any included accessories, and a valid U.S. state driver's license or state-issued photo identification card to a participating Best Buy location.
- We'll grade your product's condition and verify its functionality.
- Based on these factors and the current resale values, we'll determine how much we will offer you for your device.
- If you accept, we require you to present a valid U.S. state driver's license or state-issued photo identification card, sign a statement of ownership, and agree to the terms and conditions. There may be additional personal information required to complete the transaction based on the jurisdiction's secondhand dealer laws. For more details, see our Terms and Conditions.
- We'll then give you a Best Buy gift card for the value of your device. You can use the gift card toward purchasing any item sold in store or online.
If your product does not have value, we can recycle it responsibly at no charge.
What is the process if I want to trade in my item online?
- Go to the Best Buy website BestBuy.com/TradeIn and select the product you want to trade in. Answer a few questions about your item and we'll give you an estimate of the trade-in value of your item.
- If you accept the offer, create an account and then print out a free UPS shipping label. Drop off your item at a UPS store or call UPS to arrange for a home pickup. Your item must be received within 14 days of the estimate or the estimate will be repriced to the current value. Any promotional pricing or offers that have expired will also be lost if the item is received later than 14 days from the date of this estimate. If you experience technical difficulties, contact our customer support using our trade-in support contact form.
- We'll evaluate your item, confirm the final offer with you via e-mail, then e-mail an electronic Best Buy gift card to you within 7-9 days after receipt of your item.
How should I package my item?
If you drop off your item with UPS, we advise you to retain a drop-off receipt for your records.
- Please avoid using UPS drop box locations as you won't get a shipping receipt.
- When packaging a computer for trade-in, include the original (not a copy of the) operating system software (Macintosh or Windows) on CD or diskette, along with the certificate of authenticity, the end-user license agreement and manuals.
- If your system was shipped with a restore CD, each of the above items will be on the restore CD, and not packaged separately. If you have a Microsoft operating system, please erase the operating system software from the item.
- Include any documentation and accessories that originally shipped with your item. These items may include warranty cards, keyboards, mice and connection cables. Failure to include normally included items or accessories will impact the value of your trade.
- Do not include any CRT monitors. These can be recycled at your nearest Best Buy store.
Please follow these shipping tips:
- Wrap the items using plenty of bubble wrap, foam packaging, or other packing supplies around fragile items. Include all components of the system for return.
- Package the system in a sturdy cardboard box designed specifically for shipping.
- Tape all edges on the sides, top and bottom to make sure there are no rough edges that could be snagged by automated mail processing equipment. We do not recommend using masking or cellophane tape.
- Attach the shipping label to the outside of the package. Use a piece of clear shipping tape over the top of the label.
- Call UPS or drop off the package at a UPS shipping location. Be sure to keep the tracking number for proof of return. You may also ship at your own expense using the carrier of your choice as long as they can provide you with a Shipment Tracking Number and proof of delivery.
- Your item must be received within 14 days of the estimate or the estimate will be repriced to the current value. Any promotional pricing or offers that have expired will also be lost if the item is received later than 14 days from the date of this estimate. If you experience technical difficulties, contact our customer support using our trade-in support contact form.
You are responsible for removing any data from your item before providing the product to us. Under no circumstances shall Best Buy be liable for any loss of any data or media from products delivered to us for trade-in or recycling. For help on removing your personal data and wiping your hard drive clean, see this video from Geek Squad®.
You are responsible for disabling the lock on devices with iOS 7.0 and above or Android 5.0 or newer before the start of the trade-in transaction.
Can I track my online trade-in?
You can log in to the Trade-In Center and select My Account at any time to see the status of your trade-in.
If I trade in my item online, after the item is received at the Trade-in Center, what happens if it is not worth what was quoted?
You will receive an e-mail explaining why a different value was assigned. You have the choice of accepting the revised price, or having the item returned to you at your cost.
What if I send my item in and decide I want it back?
If the transaction is not yet completed, and a gift card has not yet been issued, the item can be returned if you pay the return shipping costs.
What happens if I choose to recycle my item online?
- Create an account and then print out a prepaid UPS shipping label.
- Your item will be shipped directly to our recycling partner, where the item will go through a reclamation process. Then, our authorized recycling partner will responsibly recycle your item.
What is the difference between trading in at a Best Buy store or on BestBuy.com?
Trading in at participating Best Buy store locations allows you to instantly get a Best Buy gift card once your trade-in has been accepted. Online, we currently accept a wider variety of items (including musical instruments and DVDs, for example). You'll have to ship us your items — but we'll cover the cost. We'll then e-mail you an electronic Best Buy gift card within 7–9 days of receipt of your item if we accept your item for trade-in.
Why do you collect personal information and what do you do with it?
In some locations, the Best Buy Trade-In Program is subject to state and local secondhand dealer laws, which regulate the buying of used personal property. Many of these laws require businesses to collect information about the seller and the purchased product, and report it to law enforcement in an effort to reduce crime and recover stolen property. In some locations, to comply with applicable law, the personal information collected may include:
- Copy of your ID
- Second form of ID
- Photograph of you
How can I feel confident that my product will be reused or disposed of by a trustworthy party in an environmentally sound manner?
Best Buy will attempt to repurpose the products taken in through Best Buy Trade-In through our Best Buy Secondary Markets channels and Best Buy Outlet channels. Our Geek Squad Service Center network will assist with product refurbishment and parts reclamation. For product disposal, we partner directly with a short list of qualified, certified, respected recycling companies that ensure all products recycled through Best Buy are handled responsibly.