Black Orpheus [Criterion Collection] [2 Discs] [DVD] 
- SKU: 18640702
- Release Date: 08/17/2010
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
Ratings & Reviews
- Archival Interviews with Director Marcel Camus and Actress Marpessa Dawn
- New Video Interviews with Brazilian Cinema Scholar Robert Stam, Jazz Historian Gary Giddins, and Brazilian Author Ruy Castro
- Looking for "Black Orpheus," a French Documentary about Black Orpheus's cultural and musical roots and its resonance in Brazil today
- Theatrical Trailer
- Plus: a Booklet featuring an Essay by Film Critic Michael Atkinson
Black Orpheus (Orfeu Negro) is literally what its title suggests: a retelling of the "Orpheus and Eurydice" legend enacted by black performers. This time the setting is the annual Carnival in Rio de Janeiro. Orpheus (Breno Mello) is a streetcar conductor; Eurydice (Marpessa Dawn) has just jilted her lover and is attempting to escape his wrath. Orpheus himself falls in love with Eurydice, whereupon her ex-lover, disguised as the Angel of Death shows up and kills Eurydice. To reclaim his lost love, Orpheus enters "Hell" (the Rio morgue) and uses supernatural methods to revive the dead girl. A multi-award winner on the international film scene, Black Orpheus features a samba musical score by Luiz Bonfa and Antonio Carlos Jobim. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Breno Mello - Orpheus
- Marpessa Dawn - Eurydice
- Lea Garcia - Serafina
- Lourdes de Oliveira - Mira
- Marcel Camus
1 out of 1 found this review helpful.
0 out of 0 found this review helpful.