Butley [DVD] [English] 
- SKU: 13311882
- Release Date: 04/01/2003
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- Theatrical trailer
- "Simon Gray and Butley," an essay by Michael Feingold, Chief Theatre Critic, The Village Voice
- The AFT Cinebill for Butley
- Stills gallery
- An interview with Edie Landau: Executive in Charge, the American Film Theatre
- Ely Landau: In Front of the Camera - AFT promotional reel (1974)
- The American Film Theatre trailer gallery - includes a complete list of AFT films
- The American Film Theatre Scrapbook
- Enhanced for 16x9 TVs
The American Film Theatre has made movies of a number of significant theatrical performances, including Laurence Olivier's Othello. Another of these filmed theatricals is Simon Gray's Butley, which was brought to the screen by playwright Harold Pinter, and which features an astonishing performance by Alan Bates. The story focuses on one very bad day in the life of Butley (Bates), a feisty, sharp-tongued, lazy and pathetic professor of English. His professional ascendancy is challenged by a slick, accomplished woman many years his junior; his ex-wife gives him conniptions when she announces her remarriage to someone he cannot bear; and his male lover of several years chooses this time to announce that he is leaving him for a sweeter-tempered but very ordinary man of the sort Butley despises. Bleak though this sounds, Butley's unconquerable wit and biting repartee transform this otherwise tragic tale into something of a celebration of survival. ~ Clarke Fountain, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Alan Bates - Ben Butley
- Jessica Tandy - Edna Shaft
- Richard O'Callaghan - Joey Keyston
- Susan Engel - Anne Butley
- Michael Byrne - Reg Nuttall