- SKU: 14346629
- Release Date: 06/21/2005
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- Original uncut British production - Digitally remastered
- Commentary track by Jay Fenton
- Bonus: "Ali Baba Nights"
- - Cut-down american version of 'Chu Chin Chow'
- Bonus: "Abdul the Damned"
- - Rare Classic feature film starring Fritz Kortner
- Collectible "Liner Notes" booklet
- -By Jay Fenton
- Anna May Wong Glamour photo gallery
- Poster & lobby card gallery
- Pressbook gallery
- Bonus footage of Anna May Wong
- Bonus music tracks
- "Vocal Gems from Chu Chin Chow"
- Popeye cartoon short
- "Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves"
The timeworn British stage musical Chu Chin Chow had already been made into a silent picture when this talkie version made its bow in 1934. Based on Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, the film stars corpulent music-hall comedian George Robey as Ali Baba, sinister Fritz Kortner as robber captain Abu Hahan, and exotic Anna May Wong as slave girl Zahrat, who saves Ali's life by properly applying oil to a collection of not-so-empty barrels. The obligatory romantic subplot is handled by John Garrick and Pearl Argyle, while comedy relief is supplied by a vaudevillian named Jetsam (that's right, of the team of "Flotsam and...") Director Walter Forde does little to "cinematize" the old property, which is just as well. Originally released at 93 minutes, Chu Chin Chow was shorn of about 5 minutes before its American release; presumably some of the sexier "nautch" dances were among the excised scenes. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- George Robey - Ali Baba
- Fritz Kortner - Abu Hassan
- Anna May Wong - Zahrat
- John Garrick - Nur-al-din
- Pearl Argyle - Marjanah