- SKU: 9020873
- Release Date: 07/20/2004
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- New high-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound
- Audio commentary by Japanese film expert Donald Richie, author of Ozu and A Hundred Years of Japanese Film
- Ozu's Films From Behind the scenes, a conversation about Ozu and his working methods between child actor and sound technician Kojiro Suematsu, assistant cameraman Takashi Kawamata, and producer Shizuo Yamanouchi
- Original theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- Optimal image quality: RSDL dual layer edition
- Plus a new essay by David Bordwell, author of Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema, and an article about Ozu by filmmaker Jim Jarmusch
Writer/director Yasujiro Ozu combines two of his favorite themes--the culture clashes in modern Japan and the emergence of the independent Japanese woman--in Early Summer (Bakushu). Setsuko Hara plays a young woman of the post-war era who is promised in an arranged marriage. But too much has happened in the world and in the girl's own life to allow her to agree to this union without protest. The characters in Early Summer are neither remote historical personages nor distant foreigners. They are types as easily recognizable in Japan as in any country, and this commonality enhances the universal appeal of this austere film. Yasujiro Ozu collaborated on the script of Early Summer with Kogo Noda. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Setsuko Hara - Noriko
- Chikage Awashima - Aya Tamura
- Kuniko Miyake - Fumiko
- Ichiro Sugai - Shukichi
- Seiji Miyaguchi