- SKU: 19521627
- Release Date: 11/08/2011
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Ratings & Reviews
- Disc Two: Audio Commentary featuring film scholar Peter Cowie
- Theatrical trailer
- Disc Three: The Supplements - The Making of "Fanny and Alexander"
- Ingmar Bergman Bids Farewell to Film, a conversation between Bergman and film critic Nils Petter Sundgren, recorded for Swedish television in 1984
- A Bergman Tapestry, a documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew
- Stills gallery
- Costume sketches and footage of the models for the film's sets
- Plus: A booklet featuring essays by documentarian and film historian Stig Björkman, Novelist Rick Moody, and film scholar Paul Arthur
In 1982, Ingmar Bergman emerged with one of his most singularly acclaimed films - a work that dramatically broke away from much of the moody psychodrama that characterized such earlier motion pictures as Cries & Whispers and Hour of the Wolf. Entitled Fanny and Alexander, and originally intended as the director's "swan song," this epic plunges into the life of a theatrical family named the Ekdahls, in turn-of-the-century Sweden. Bergman filters life through the eyes of the two titular Ekdahl children (Pernilla Alwin and Bertil Guve), as they come of age, lose their father unexpectedly, and must contend with their mother's remarriage to an uncaring, dictatorial clergyman from whom there seems to be no escape. Instantly hailed as a masterpiece, Fanny won a slew of international awards, including four Oscars. Yet curiously, the three-hour theatrical version seen in the U.S. did not represent the full depth and breadth of Bergman's vision. He also prepared a five-hour version for Swedish television, one that ran locally as a miniseries in 1984, in four separate installments. The extended running time gives the director to further develop and flesh out his characters, substories and themes, and will thus strike many fans of the original film as a remarkable discovery. ~ Nathan Southern, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Pernilla Allwin - Fanny Ekdahl
- Bertil Guve - Alexander Ekdahl
- Gunn Wållgren - Helena Ekdahl
- Börje Ahlstedt - Helena's son Prof. Carl Ekdahl
- Allan Edwall - Oscar Ekdahl
0 out of 0 found this review helpful.