- SKU: 9018939
- Release Date: 07/22/2008
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- Disc One:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer with original four-track surround sound
- Audio commentary featuring Akira Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- Disc Two:
- a 37-minute documentary of the making of High and Low, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosaw: It Is Wonderful to Create
- Rare video interview with actor Toshiro Mifune, conducted by tv talk-show host tetsuko kuroyanagi
- New video interview with actor Tsutomu Yamazaki, who plays the kidnapped
- Theatricak trailers frpm Japan and the U.S.
- A bookley featuring a new essay by critic Geoffrey O'Brien and an on-set account by Japanese film scholar Donald Richie
Based on King's Ransom, an "87th Precinct" novel by Ed McBain (aka Evan Hunter), High and Low stars Toshiro Mifune as Gondo, a wealthy industrialist. Gondo is contacted by a gang of kidnappers, who inform him that they've kidnapped his son. The crooks demand a huge ransom for the boy's return -- an amount so huge that it will utterly bankrupt Gondo. As the harried businessman prepares to pay the ransom, he discovers that his son is safe at home: the kidnappers have accidentally snatched the son of his chauffeur. Does Gondo drop his payoff plans, or does he do the honorable thing and rescue his employee's son? This dilemma is but one aspect of the multilayered character study from the unbeatable team of star Toshiro Mifune and filmmaker Akira Kurosawa, who directs this superb film with his usual depth and impeccable eye for detail and character. As a man forced to make impossible decisions, Mifune gives a nuanced, perceptive and psychologically convincing performance. While not one of Kurosawa's master works, High and Low, with its grim reality and moral ambiguity stands as a superb example of film noir at its best. High and Low was originally released in Japan as Tengoku To-Jigoku. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Toshiro Mifune - Kingo Gondo
- Kyoko Kagawa - Reiko, Gondo's Wife
- Tatsuya Nakadai - Inspector Tokura
- Yutaka Sada - Aoki
- Kenjiro Ishiyama - Detective Taguchi