Give these helpful tips a try if you're having problems with your MP3 player.
Before you begin…
Unlike a portable CD player, an MP3 player requires communication with a PC to operate. That means any viruses or spyware lurking in your PC can affect the installation of your MP3 player. Scanning your computer before installing your MP3 player reduces the risk of problems.
1. Scan for viruses and spyware
Scan your PC using the free virus and spyware scans available at http://www.geeksquad.com prior to installation and routinely for the best results.
- Virus scans check for virus vulnerability and other security threats
- Spyware scans look for hidden spyware infections and computer corruption
2. Refer to manufacturer's provided setup instructions prior to installation
Install software disc first, then plug in your device and follow instructions
3. Keep software and firmware up to date
Both software and firmware relate to programming. Manufacturers frequently have updates for your MP3 player. Make sure to check their Web site and download any firmware or software to maintain the best performance of your MP3 player.
4. Ensure your battery is charged
5. How to troubleshoot your iPod
- If you cannot see the iPod icon in iTunes®, try plugging your device into a different USB port.
- Make sure you have the latest versions of iPod and iTunes software (available on the Web at: www.apple.com/iPod/download).
- If your Apple® iPod® is locked up or won't turn on, you might need to reset your device. Go to www.apple.com/support/ipod for specific instructions on resetting your iPod as well as other helpful troubleshooting tips.
6. For brand-specific help…
Check out the troubleshooting sections at the Web sites below
- Apple - www.apple.com/support/ipod
- Samsung - www.samsung.com
- SanDisk - www.sandisk.com
- Creative Labs - www.creativelabs.com
- Sony - www.sony.com
- Insignia® - www.insignia-products.com
- Zune - www.zune.net/en-US/support/default.htm
Talk to us — and each other — about how today's technology fits into your life now.
Check out the latest postsSee all forums ›
Learning Center Home
Info articles, buying guides, everyday deals and more.