Jimi Plays Monterey/Shake! Otis at Monterey [Criterion Collection] [DVD]
- SKU: 7837763
- Release Date: 06/13/2006
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- Jimi Plays Monterey: Audio commentary by music critic and historian Charles Shaar Murray
- Jimi Plays Monterey: Excerpts from an interview with Pete Townshend
- Jimi Plays Monterey: New 5.1 mix by legendary recording engineer Eddie Kramer, presented in Dolby Digital and DTS
- Jimi Plays Monterey: New high-definition digital transfer, supervised by D. A. Pennebaker
- Jimi Plays Monterey: Trailer
- Plus: a new essay by David Fricke
- Shake! Otis at Monterey: Interview with Phil Walden, Redding's manager from 1959 to 1967
- Shake! Otis at Monterey: New 5.1 mix by legendary recording engineer Eddie Kramer, presented in Dolby Digital and DTS
- Shake! Otis at Monterey: New high-definition digital transfer, supervised by D. A. Pennebaker
- Shake! Otis at Monterey: Two audio commentaries by music critic and historian Peter Guralnick - on Otis Redding's Monterey performance, song by song, and on Redding before and after Monterey
Few people in the United States had any idea who Jimi Hendrix was when he and his band, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, came on-stage at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival. By the time his relatively short set had been played, everyone present knew they had heard a guitar genius -- the performance was history-making. This HBO Home Video release contains most of the songs from the festival performance, which was the Jimi Hendrix Experience's U.S. concert debut. ~ Steve Blackburn, Rovi
Shake! Otis at Monterey
Renowned documentary filmmaker D.A. Pennebaker captures Otis Redding in his ascendancy, singing at the historic Monterey International Pop Festival in June 1967. Comedian Tom Smothers introduces Redding to a crowd that is leaving -- until Redding grabs them with his charged rendition of "Shake." Redding's performance also includes "Respect" (which he wrote), "I've Been Loving You Too Long," "Satisfaction," and "Try a Little Tenderness." Tragically, Redding died in a plane crash six months later. An innovative filmmaker who started in the 1950s making experimental films, Pennebaker garnered an Oscar nomination for Best Documentary Feature in 1993 for The War Room, his behind-the-scenes look at Bill Clinton's 1992 campaign. His other subjects have included Norman Mailer, Bob Dylan, and David Bowie. ~ Steve Blackburn, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Jimi Hendrix