- SKU: 6692073
- Release Date: 06/05/2001
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- Disc 1:
- Digital transfer with restored picture and sound, enhanced for 16x9 televisions
- Audio commentary by film historian Gene Youngblood
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- Optional image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition
- Disc 2:
- "Antonioni: Documents and Testimonials," a 58-minute documentary by Gianfranco Mingozzi
- Writings by Antonioni, read by Jack Nicholson, plus Nicholson's personal recollections of the director
- Original theatrical trailer
- Restoration demonstration
- A reprint of Antonioni's statements about "L'Avventura," circulated after the film's premier at the 1960 Cannes Film Festival, and a new essay by Geoffrey Nowell-Smith
This ground-breaking film won a Special Jury Prize at the 1960 Cannes Film Festival and established its director, Michelangelo Antonioni, as a major international talent. The plot concerns a yachting trip by a small group of jaded socialites, including Sandro (Gabriele Ferzetti), an aging architect who sold out for easy money long ago, his mistress Anna (Lea Massari), and her friend Claudia (Monica Vitti), who doesn't fit in with the wealthy jet-setters' dissolute ethics. When Anna disappears during a tour of a volcanic island, Claudia initially blames Sandro's emotionally barren behavior toward her. As they search the island, however, Claudia and Sandro grow closer and -- when it is apparent that Anna is gone forever -- become lovers. Unfortunately, Sandro cannot find anything decent inside himself and betrays Claudia with a local prostitute. Caught in the act, Sandro has a heartrending breakdown on a desolate beach, but Claudia silently forgives him. L'avventura caught many audiences who were expecting a mystery by surprise; as in La notte (1961), The Eclipse (1962), and Red Desert (1964), Antonioni is interested less in developing a logical story than in exploring states of feeling and breakdowns in human connection. ~ Robert Firsching, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Gabriele Ferzetti - Sandro
- Monica Vitti - Claudia
- Lea Massari - Anna
- Dominique Blanchar - Giulia
- Dorothy de Poliolo - Gloria Perkins