With so many devices in use, your home network is busier than ever. This Linksys router can eliminate slowdown and interference by delivering Wi-Fi signals directly to each device, so everyone can listen to music, stream movies, and shop or game online at the same time..
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.
If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
Enjoy online entertainment and complete home office tasks with combined speeds of up to 2.53 Gbps and a dual-band 2.4GHz/5.0GHz frequency.
Work and play online simultaneously. You won’t have to worry about slowdown or interference, even when multiple devices are in use.
Get clearer coverage. Targeted Wi-Fi signals will stream directly to each device.
4 adjustable antennas
Expand your home network’s range. Deliver the best Wi-Fi signal to the areas you want in your home.
Smart Wi-Fi app
Monitor and manage your Wi-Fi network from anywhere, using your smartphone or tablet. Create a guest network, set up parental controls, and prioritize devices that need more speed.
Built-in Ethernet and USB connections
Connect computers, hard drives, printers, and more wired devices with 4 Ethernet ports, and 1 USB 3.0 port and 1 eSATA/USB port.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, or Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.
Great connectivity for 20+ devices.
Posted by: Stewart from: on
I set this up replacing an older N600 Netgear router, and I can honestly say the setup was a breeze. I followed the instructions and got it up and running, including the physical setup portion, in maybe 10-15 minutes. Speedtest app on my iPhone gave me huge numbers over the older N600 I was using. I live in a ~2200 sq. ft. two story home. My backyard, garage, living room, and across the street all get great reception. I'm not too sure why there has been so many negative reviews with this device. Everything is extremely intuitive. I set it up on a MacBook running Yosemite, had zero issues.
15 out of 15 found this review helpful.
Posted by: Nate from: on
Setup is a little clunky. Had to reset it a couple of times all i had to do was hold down the reset button for 40 seconds wish it said something about this in the box. Wish linksys gave you a option to do a offline setup instead of a online one through their portal, but i'll live. Speeds great hitting 90 up and down. Media server works fine with no problems setting it up. Overall good product so far.
17 out of 20 found this review helpful.
Stable, Great Performance router!
Posted by: dfran1 from: Ma on
A little background, I had d-link, Netgear, apple, all were good except for Netgear had to reboot weekly to monthly, then RT-AC66R - this was a good Asus router, I had the RT-AC68R - this was good at 2.4GHz but 5GHz sucked in range so 5GHz usability was useless and it had awful USB support (problems).
Now the Asus RT-AC87R (I am going to reference it as 87r), where to begin….
I thought this would be my router for years (boy was I wrong)…
The 5GHz covered all my house inside, BUT, areas where I put my phone, (to do wifi to hardwired device remote control) just gave me constant problems, some days after a new firmware it seemed to work (sometimes) and I thought finally, then some day or days later BAM not working in those areas again. (Now before you think or say something, all I did was change to the Linksys router, NOTHING ELSE, more on that below).
The best I ever achieved from the 87r was about maybe a month with a firmware, before something went wrong, lag, wifi drops, etc.. I totally gave up on USB drives connected through it, now I have a NAS (Best purchase I have made in years)
Onto my new Linksys, in my case, this is my first Linksys router I have ever owned.
First what I read on it….
- I read the web GUI was slow by some, I find it supper fast, I have no idea why others complain about it at all.
- Wifi range, well the Linksys is the same as the 87R with 2.4 GHz range (outstanding), and noticeably better than the 87r on the 5GHz band.
- I read of a few having some kind of power down after 6 hours or so, I have never seen this at all (the latest firmware update address this anyway for the ones with tis issue).
Now my findings
-Absolutely no dead wifi spots with the Linksys, super fast connection from my wifi app to wired lan control device. I can't find any WiFi deed spots in my house with this Linksys router on 5 GHz or 2.4GHz. (As I have had with the 87r, especially with my remote app)
- I have an app on my phone that connects to a hardwired device, on the 87r this was so bad and useless that the original (old) app no longer functioned and I had to buy a different app to get it to work, I no longer have my phone wifi to hardwired device control problems at all, both apps work great on the Linksys EA8500 and I checked for the latest update on the first app that went wonky on the 87r and it was not updated for 30+ days.
- I no longer have any lag (tho dd-wrt firmware on the 87r removed it usually all the time, but it come back after days on the 87r). My online gaming with Asus routers on Monday night’s were all horrible, so bad that I usually shut down my PS4. Now with the EA8500 my lag is very minimal.
- Setup was simple, but I did do some reading into this before hand, so I knew what to tweak to get great performance out of the Linksys.
- I did have a HP wifi printer problem, FIXED I had to reset my network settings in my HP printer (nothing with the router at all).
- My download speeds since I installed the EA8500 are my best ever. Any router before (including the rt-ac87r) I got a max of 30-32 down, now with the Linksys I always see 34-35.
-I have adjusted some things in the settings and unlike the 87r, no firmware degradation at all...... Meaning every time I rebooted (I owned 2 87r’s, first one died due to overheating) the 87r would perform worse and worse (more problems, etc..)after every reboot, no matter what firmware I used, until I flushed the ac87r and started from scratch again, it happened with both 87r’s, I have complained about this from time to time with Asus and they did not care. Nothing at all like this on the Linksys, the Linksys just works like it should and rebooting does nothing bad at all to it.
- NO WiFi drops with the Linksys on either band, the Linksys just works and works perfectly.
- Web page refreshes on wifi devices are the same as my Asus 87r (when it was working good)
- I use and love the way QOS is used on the linksys (I hated the Asus way, tried it, never worked for me and turned it off). I see no speed degrade with QOS on, my ps4 also has very little lag, that's my priority in the QOS for me, so QOS in this router works.
- Linksys support is very great and responsive (from the printer issue I had, they gave me things to try on my Printer problem that turned out to be resettings network settings on the printer).
- DHCP reservation is super easy on the Linksys, you click on “Network Map” and all of your connected devices are showing, just click a device and add DHCP reservation, it’s that easy. Linksys and I also recommends you do this, as some devices get confused (on any router)
Bad (if you call it bad)
- The IOS app to configure the router does not work with IOS 9 beta yet, expected as it is a beta IOS, it does work from my android note 10.1 version 1 perfectly. (I use the web GUI anyway, but I don't have to go into that often at all due to the Linksys just working).
- I have no idea what my wifi connections are at ( meaning 100, 300, 400, or 800), Asus and dd-wrt gave me this info, nowhere found on the Linksys. (This would be my only wish, but not needed)
- I don’t have lights up front and I like that, I do have a Linksys light on top that is steady when connected to my ISP and flashing when not, I do like this.
- I do not like the fact I only get 90 days telephone support, but with quick e-mail and forum support, it’s not needed.
- Pricy but performance and stability is worth the price (I paid more for my Asus rt-ac87r a year before and that was nothing but problems and stuff not working the entire year, yah it has more bells and whistles but at slower speeds and very unstable hardware and firmware)
I don't have absolutely nothing bad to say or found about this router, I keep looking for something, not performing properly, but everything I do with the Linksys = it just works perfectly, to date.
If you are looking for tons of things to tweak, bloatware (I call it, you may not), love to reboot and have unstable hardware = look elsewhere, BUT if you are looking for a router with all the features needed and for a router that is stable as a rock = Look no further this EA8500 is the one!
So far I love this Linksys Router
If this stays like this, I have the best router made to date!
This is how a router should work, perfectly. NOT half baked!!
20 out of 25 found this review helpful.
Posted by: NotSoTechy from: on
I honestly dread setting up anything techy, This was so smooth and seamless with their mobile site, I honestly couldn't believe it! Last time I bought a router was the old Linksys G54, so I decided to stick with linksys again. They did not let me down. Also, my kids no longer bother me about the internet being slow.
16 out of 19 found this review helpful.
Great Wi-Fi Router for a busy Home Network
Posted by: Mmares from: Surprise, AZ on
I replaced my AE6350 and what a difference in speed and connectivity. I had it set up and up and running in 15-20 minutes without issues. I don't know why certain people conplain so much about setting up the router but it is easy. I set up my bands, 2.4 and 5G as tow separate bands and everyting is working great. We have devices in our house that use old and new technology and this router hadles both technologies as described. This new technology, MU-MIMO work great. I live a tow story home, I have my rought in the first floor and we get a great, very fast speeds upstairs and everywhere in the house. So far this router is working as advertised and I am very happy with its performance.
9 out of 9 found this review helpful.
Great router better than I expected
Posted by: 72blazr1 from: on
I bought this router to replace the older unit I had. We fired our cable
company and are streaming shows and movies from 5 televisions, 1 4k tv and the rest are 1080p. This router handles the work load. I tested it by streaming movies to every television, I had two laptops on the net , two ipads on you tube my kids were on their phones 2 iphones and my wife on her Samsung. I took my I pad outside to test the reach. I got to my shop that is about 120 ft from my house and still had three bars showing. went inside with the doors shut and still have two bars. I took an older smart tv out to the shop and can stream movies, youtube from there. this thing exceeded my expectations. I think this thing will support 16 or 17 connections at once. I live in the country with very little interference from anything else so you may not get as good of a signal as I do but, this thing just works.
10 out of 11 found this review helpful.
Awesome router with great features!
Posted by: sechev00 from: on
I've been doing a good bit of research on getting a router since I was switching ISP and wanted to maintain my own router instead of getting a leased one. SmallNetBuilder (good site that tests routers) ranked this one in its category tied 2nd with a TP-Link C2600. 1st was the Nighthawk X4S. I got the Nighthawk X4S first and while it performed well with speeds, Netgear's UI for configuration along with the Netgear Genie app, were both mediocre and not intuitive. I got the Linksys EA8500 and the setup was a breeze. The interface was excellent and looked modern. The Linksys Smart Wifi iOS app is amazing and has recently received a major redesign. The actual router itself is providing me with the speeds I'm paying for easily. I'm getting around 930 Mbps for both download and upload speeds with my laptop hardwired into the router. Streaming has been excellent with no buffering as well as no lag when gaming Online and others are streaming from Netflix/Plex etc. Could not be any more happier with this router.
6 out of 6 found this review helpful.
Fantastic ROUTER SPEEDS UNREAL
Posted by: JMANEZ from: on
Speeds on this thing are unreal. I bought this in the store at 164 Lone Tree Colorado. The Manager Recommended it to me Mike Morris. And let me tell you only took 20 minutes to set up, much faster then the WRT1900AC Router by Linksys. Easy setup, manage your devices all from your smart phone and troubleshooting is made easy, you can notice the differences in speeds. Easy set up, adding devices is so easy its unreal. Overall very easy set up. I've seen a lot of negative complaints on this router, its so easy to install. Its out of the box ready to go! RATING 6 STARS!
6 out of 8 found this review helpful.
Software issues out of the box
Posted by: baselessvirus33 from: on
This router wouldn't work properly out of the box. I was asked to set up an account to manage the router online, which I did. After that, I was unable to ever log into the router. I did several hard resets and tried doing the setup with and without creating an online account, and was never actually able to log in. Supposedly the router updated itself during the set up to the latest firmware but this didn't help things. I used to use and recommend Linksys, but since being sold to Belkin I get the impression they've gone downhill. I returned this for the Asus RT-AC87R and have been much happier with that, and it was cheaper with very similar specs.
3 out of 3 found this review helpful.
Posted by: salvatorecv from: on
able to stream in 4k and game at the same time with no lag or slow down. connection in bedroom upstairs went from 12mbps to 39 mbps on my PS4 with the new router which is down stairs.