- SKU: 18117048
- Release Date: 11/18/2008
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- Film stop feature: Use your remote control or mouse to access additional interviews and information on many subjects
- Computer features: Watch the DVD on a computer for direct access to supplemental documents on the DVD and for direct links via web browser to online supplemental information
- Interviews: Francisco Varela, H.H. Dalai Lama, Heinz von Foerster, Humberto Maturana, Jean-Pierre Dupuy
- Topics: Additional background on qutopoiesis/autonomy, knowledge/wisdom/science, consciousness/1st person method, mind & life and arts/generating ideas
- Places: Extra footage, slideshows and more from Monte Grande in Chile, the Lindisfarne Association in New York, and Ojai, California
- Video clip: Making Empanadas
- Film trailer
It marked a tedious, at times excruciatingly difficult pursuit, but the Chilean-born neurobiologist Francisco Varela (1946-2001) spent his 55 years attempting to define how an individual's body and mind can become unified into a cohesive, integrated whole - a concept known as autopoiesis. From that conceptual springboard, Varela moved into systematic, non-linear investigations of such areas as consciousness, ethics, death and meditation. As directed by Franz Reichle, this documentary program explores many of Varela's beliefs, teachings and discoveries, supplemented by his own reflections and those of friends, family and colleagues. Participants include Evan Thompson, Jean-Pierre Dupuy, The 14th Dalai Lama and many others. ~ Nathan Southern, Rovi