As an ENERGY STAR Partner, Best Buy is committed to protecting the environment while still saving you money with energy-efficient ENERGY STAR qualified products. In 2011, Best Buy sold enough ENERGY STAR qualified Clothes Washers to collectively save our customers $8,440,289 in annual energy costs and helped prevent the greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to removing 10,615 cars from the road for an entire year.*
What are the Benefits
Save Money on Utility Bills
Many washing machines that have earned the ENERGY STAR have a greater capacity than conventional models, which means fewer loads of laundry. Washers that have earned the ENERGY STAR also use 50% less water and about 30% less energy for washing.
Download Savings Calculator Worksheet
(Provided by energystar.gov)
Save Your Clothes
Instead of twisting and pulling clothes around a turning agitator, front-load and advanced top-load clothes washers use sophisticated wash systems to gently flip and spin clothes through a reduced stream of water. This lengthens the life of often-washed items. Because they are so gentle, many models can safely clean silk, wool and other hand-washables.
Without a bulky agitator, there is more usable space in the washer for laundry — especially larger items like comforters. More capacity means fewer loads of laundry each week. What will you do with your extra time?
Nearly 70 percent of U.S. electricity is generated by burning coal and natural gas, which releases greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere and causes global warming. ENERGY STAR qualified clothes washers use less energy and help us reduce our impact on the environment. By reducing water consumption, ENERGY STAR qualified washers also help protect our lakes, streams, and oceans.
- Average life = 11 years
- Average cycles per year = 392
- Time to recover initial investment = 5 years
- ENERGY STAR clothes washer price range = $550 - $1,520
- Conventional clothes washer price range = $240 - $770
- Saves enough water to fill a bathtub nearly 2,000 times
- Saves enough water to fill three backyard swimming pools.
- Saves enough water to wash your car 760 times or take 3,000 showers.
- Saves enough energy to do nearly 1,700 loads of laundry in your dryer.
- Saves enough energy each year to light your home for 45 days.
- Saves enough money to completely pay for the dryer.
More Energy-Saving Tips
- Wash full loads for optimum efficiency and a reduction in the number of loads.
- Wash clothing in cold water whenever possible.
- If your washer has spin options, choose a high spin speed or extended spin option to reduce the amount of remaining moisture, thus starting the drying process before you put your clothes in the dryer.
To learn more about the ENERGY STAR® program and ways you can save energy and environment, visit www.energystar.gov.
*Savings based on Best Buy's 2011 sales and the difference in U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's ENERGY STAR Program data regarding annual unit energy consumption between non-ENERGY STAR qualified products and ENERGY STAR qualified products. Electricity rate is $0.1089/kWh. Emissions factors are 1.54 pounds CO2 per kWh, 117 pounds CO2 per MBtu, and 11,244 pounds CO2 per car per year.
What Is ENERGY STAR?
ENERGY STAR is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices.
Products that earn the ENERGY STAR prevent greenhouse gas emissions by meeting strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the EPA and the DOE — helping us all save money and fight global warming.
Special Offers & Rebates
Rebates up to $100 are available on qualifying products. Use the ENERGY STAR Rebate Finder* to find special offers and incentives available in your area.