Best Buy promotes responsible environmental stewardship by requiring all recyclers retained by Best Buy to comply with standards regarding the reuse, refurbishment or recycling of products collected through our programs and the disposal of waste generated from the recycling process.
Environmental, Health and Safety
- Environmental Management System: Recycler actively manages an environmental, health and safety management system in order to evaluate risks in a systematic manner and support continual process improvement.
- Regulatory Compliance: Recycler completes all recycling activities in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances and holds all applicable licenses, permits, authorizations or approvals from governmental entities.
- Workforce: Recycler employs only competent personnel that are knowledgeable in the services provided, and does not employ forced, bonded, indentured or involuntary prison labor.
- Recycling Hierarchy: Recycler uses available processes and techniques which minimize the waste and environmental impact generated during the recycling process.
- Incineration or Land Disposal: Recycler does not utilize incineration or land disposal for equipment or components and will not use these technologies as a primary management strategy for waste generated during the recycling process.
- Reuse and Refurbishment: Recycler screens all equipment and components to determine if it is practical to reuse equipment or components or refurbish equipment or components to be reused for the original intended purpose.
- Data Security: Recycler processes all hard drives and similar data storage devices in a way that renders all data unrecoverable.
- Recycling: Recycler responsibly manages the recycling process and material in a manner that minimizes environmental impacts for all equipment and components that have reached end-of-life.
- Export: Recycler and downstream service providers do not sell or export outside of developed countries (the OECD) any non-working equipment or components.
- Reporting and Record Keeping: Recycler systematically differentiates and tracks data required by Best Buy.
- 3rd Party Audit: Recycler provides access to all documentation, personnel and facilities necessary for Best Buy or a third party auditor to assess performance and compliance.
- Downstream Due Diligence: Recycler utilizes environmentally responsible subcontractors and can provide documentation that demonstrates due diligence in selecting subcontractors.