- SKU: 4977234
- Release Date: 01/07/2003
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- New high-definition digital transfer made from the extensive 35mm restoration
- 1962 French television interview with director Julien Duvivier
- Excerpts from the 1978 television documentary "Remembering Jean Gabin"
- Excerpts from Ginette Vincendeau's BFI Classics study of "Pépé le Moko," addressing the historical background of the film's setting and the French crime novel genre
- A study of the lasting influence of "Pépé" on popular culture, including a special video comparison between "Pépé" and the 1978 U.S. remake "Algiers"
- Essay by film critic Michael Atkinson
- Original theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition
Pepe le Moko (Jean Gabin) is a well-known criminal mastermind who eludes the French police by hiding in the Casbah section of Algiers. He knows he is safe in this labyrinthine netherworld, where he is surrounded by his fellow thieves and cutthroats. Police inspector Slimane (Lucas Gridoux), who has developed a grudging respect for Pepe, bides his time, waiting for Pepe to try to leave the Casbah. When Gaby Gould (Mirielle Balin), a Parisian tourist, falls in love with Pepe, the inspector hopes to use this relationship to his advantage. He tells Gaby that Pepe has been killed, knowing that the heartbroken girl will return to Paris -- and that Pepe will risk everything to go after her. The French Pepe le Moko was remade in the US as Algiers, which followed the original so slavishly (except for changing its ending) that the American producers were able to utilize generous amounts of stock footage from the French film. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Jean Gabin - Pepe le Moko
- Mireille Balin - Gaby Gould
- Line Noro - Ines
- Lucas Gridoux - Inspector Slimane
- Gabriel Gabrio - Carlos