- SKU: 20703469
- Release Date: 12/04/2012
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Ratings & Reviews
- New Interview with René Clément scholar and author Denitza Bantcheva
- Archival interviews with actor Alain Delon and novelist Patricia Highsmith, on whose book The Talented Mr. Ripley the film is based
- Original English-language trailer
- Plus: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Geoffrey O'Brien and excerpts from a 1981 interview with Clément
René Clément's thriller Purple Noon stars Alain Delon as Tom Ripley, an American who travels to Europe on an all-expenses-paid mission to convince his friend, the errant playboy Philippe Greenleaf (Maurice Ronet), to travel to San Francisco at the request of the wealthy Greenleaf family. Initially, the pair enjoy the good life in Italy, often to the anger and dismay of Philippe's much put-upon fiancee Marge (Marie Laforet). However, as Tom's funds begin to run dry, it becomes more and more apparent that Philippe has no intentions of returning to the U.S., forcing Tom to consider more nefarious means of maintaining his extravagant lifestyle. Purple Noon is adapted from Patricia Highsmith's novel The Talented Mr. Ripley, and like Alfred Hitchcock's classic Strangers on a Train, also based on Highsmith's work, the theme of identity transference is dominant. The subject even extends to the homoerotic undercurrents which simmer below the surface of Tom and Philippe's relationship, setting into motion a love/hate tension which explodes during a high seas journey. ~ Jason Ankeny, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Alain Delon - Tom Ripley
- Maurice Ronet - Philippe Greenleaf
- Marie Laforêt - Marge Duval
- Elvire Popesco - Mme. Popova
- Erno Crisa - Inspector Riccordi
0 out of 0 found this review helpful.