Sanjuro [Criterion Collection] [DVD] [Japanese] 
- SKU: 9021658
- Release Date: 01/23/2007
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
Ratings & Reviews
- All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Optional Dolby Digita 3.0 soundtrack; preserving the original Perspecta simulated stereo effects
- Audio commentary by film historian and Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
- A 35-minute documentary on the making of Sanjuro, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
- Theatrical trailer and teaser
- Stills gallery of behind-the-scenes photos
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- Plus: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow and notes from Kurosawa and his cast and crew
Set in the mid-19th century when the disintegration of a rigid social structure was turning the once wealthy into paupers, or vice-versa, this kinetic drama by acclaimed Akira Kurosawa features the hero Sanjuro (Toshiro Mifune), one of many samurai whose once traditional positions were fast disappearing. In this tale of false perceptions and truth, of honor and dishonor, Sanjuro is a character who captures and holds attention from the moment he appears on screen. When he arrives in a small city, he discovers that a band of nine men are anxious to overthrow the corrupt ruling elite. Physically strong and agile, mentally sharp and clear-headed, Sanjuro still has an deep commitment to justice and honor underneath his dirty, abrasive, and cynical exterior. The nine men may doubt his nobility, but that is because they are only looking skin deep. While the sword fighting and action scenes are memorable, it is Toshiro Mifune's characterization and Kurosawa's camera eye that enhance the story. ~ Eleanor Mannikka, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Toshiro Mifune - Sanjuro Tsubaki
- Yuzo Kayama - Ioti Izaka
- Tatsuya Nakadai - Hanbei Muroto
- Keiju Kobayashi - Spy
- Reiko Dan - Chidori, Mutsuta's daughter
0 out of 0 found this review helpful.