Spy Who Came from the Cold [WS] [Criterion Collection] [DVD] [English] 
- SKU: 9388708
- Release Date: 11/25/2008
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
Ratings & Reviews
- Disc Two - New video interview with Author John le Carré
- Selected-scene Commentary featuring Director of Photography Oswald Morris
- The Secret Centre: John le Carré (2000), a BBC documentary on the author's extraordinary life and work
- A 1967 interview with Richard Burton from the BBC series Acting in the 60's, conducted by film critic Kenneth Tynan
- An audio conversation from 1985 between Director Martin Ritt and film historian Patrick McGilligan
- Gallery of set designs
- Plus: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Michael Sragow
- Disc One: New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Theatrical Trailer
Based on the novel by John Le Carre, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold stars Richard Burton as a dispirited, end-of-tether British secret agent. He comes in from "the cold" (meaning he is pulled out of field operations) to act as a undercover man behind the Iron Curtain. To make his staged defection seem genuine, Burton goes on an alcoholic toot and is imprisoned and publicly humiliated. Once he has been accepted into East German espionage circles, Burton discovers that what he thought was his mission was a mere subterfuge--and that he's been set up as a pawn for an entirely different operation. Though Ireland and England "stand in" for East Berlin, Spy Who Came In From the Cold has the air of authenticity throughout, thanks in great part to the bleak black and white photography by Oswald Morris. The film was condemned as incomprehensible by those filmgoers accustomed to the simplistic melodramatics of James Bond; seen today, the double-crosses and double-double crosses seem all too clear and credible. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Richard Burton - Alec Leamas
- Claire Bloom - Nan Perry
- Oskar Werner - Fiedler
- Sam Wanamaker - Peters
- George Voskovec - East German Defense Attorney
0 out of 0 found this review helpful.