The Big City [Criterion Collection] [Blu-ray] [Bengali] 
- SKU: 21501451
- Release Date: 08/20/2013
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- New interview with actor Madhabi Mukjerjee
- Satyajit Ray and the Modern Woman, a new interview with Ray scholar Suranjan Ganguly
- Satyajit Ray (1974), a documentary short by B.D. Garga
- The Coward (Kapurush, 1965), a short feature by Ray that also addresses modern female identity and stars Mukherjee and Soumitra Chatterjee
- Plus: A booklet featuring an essay by scholar Chandak Sengoopta and a 1980s interview by Ray by his biographer Andrew Robinson
Satyajit Ray, India's premiere film director, takes a rare foray into social satire with 1963's The Big City. Anil Chaterjee stars as the typically subjugated wife of an Indian bank official. When the banker loses his job, he orders Anil to find work to make ends meet. The wife subsequently runs the household finances so brilliantly that soon she is in the driver's seat, in direct opposition to long-established Indian matrimonial custom. Seen by some critics as a subtle plea for improving the status of Indian womanhood, The Big City was based on a novel by Narbenda Nath Mitra. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Anil Chatterjee - Subrata Mazumdar
- Madhabi Mukherjee - Arati