The Black Pirate [DVD] 
- SKU: 13628354
- Release Date: 02/03/2004
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
- 19 minutes of rare outtake footage
- Audio commentary by film historian Rudy Behlmer
- Presented in restored Technicolor
- Original 1926 orchestral score by Mortimer Wilson recorded in digital stereo, conducted by Robert Israel
The Black Pirate was hailed in 1926 as the "return" of the Douglas Fairbanks who'd breezed through several peppy comedies before starring in lavish costume epics like Robin Hood (1922) and Thief of Bagdad (1924). The story involves a young nobleman (Fairbanks) whose father is killed by pirates. He vows to avenge his dad's death by becoming a buccaneer himself and routing out the villains. Along the way, he rescues damsel-in-distress Billie Dove (likewise of noble birth) and engages in a few bloody duels with the swarthy likes of Sam De Grasse and Anders Randolph. Charlie Stevens, a grandson of American Indian chief Geronimo -- and whom Fairbanks regarded as a "lucky charm" -- appears in several tiny roles. The Black Pirate was originally presented in two-color Technicolor form; the black and white prints are the most-often-seen version of the film, however. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Douglas Fairbanks - Michel, "The Black Pirate"
- Billie Dove - The Princess
- Donald Crisp - McTavish
- Tempe Piggott - Duenna
- Anders Randolf - Pirate Leader