The Law [DVD] 
- SKU: 18702611
- Release Date: 09/28/2010
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- Uncensored French-language version of the Law
- Audio commentary by film critic David Fear
- New English subtitle translation by Lenn Borger
- Alternat ending - "Mariette's Revenge"
- 1958 episode of Cinépanorama from the set of the Law, featuring Jules Dassin, Gina Lollobrigida, Yves Montand, and Melina Mercouri
- 1957 television interview with La Lai novelist Roger Vailland, from French television program Lectures pour tous
- L'ultima asteria (200, dir. Alfredo De Giuseppe), a documentary film about the game "The Law" as played in Southern Italy today
- The Law original theatrical trailer
Jules Dassin, blacklisted during the McCarthy era, directs this routine, ostensibly romantic tale that really courts an underlying theme of the misuse of power. Based on a popular French novel and set in a small Mediterranean town, the story involves a small group of men and the woman several of them desire. The men gather around in the local tavern each evening to play a rather vicious game called "The Law." One man is chosen to dictate to the others, and they have to do what he says, no matter how humiliating. Marietta (Gina Lollobrigida) is the gorgeous servant of Don Cesare (Pierre Brasseur), desired by Francesco, the son of a crime boss (Yves Montand), and by her brother-in-law. She herself has fallen in love with Enrico (Marcello Mastroianni), a poor engineer. Determined to get a dowry and thereby be able to marry Enrico, Marietta turns the tables on the men who play "The Law." ~ Eleanor Mannikka, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Gina Lollobrigida - Marietta
- Pierre Brasseur - Don Cesare
- Marcello Mastroianni - Engineer
- Melina Mercouri - Donna Lucrezia
- Yves Montand - Matteo Brigante