The Maids [DVD] [English] 
- SKU: 13311926
- Release Date: 04/01/2003
Best Buy is dedicated to always offering the best value to our customers. We will match the price, at the time of purchase, on a Price Match Guarantee product if you find the same item at a lower price at a Designated Major Online Retailer or at a local retail competitor's store.Here's how:
- If you find a qualifying lower price online, call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct a customer service agent to the web site with the lower price, or when visiting a Best Buy store, one of our employees will assist you.
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving. See the list of Designated Major Online Retailers and full details.
- Theatrical trailer
- "Jean Genet and The Maids," an essay by Michael Feingold, chief theatre critic of The Village Voice
- The American Film Theatre Cinebill for The Maids
- Stills gallery
- Interview with Edie Landau, executive-in-charge of the American Film Theatre
- "Ely Landau: In Front of the Camera" AFT promotion reel
- American Film Theatre trailer gallery (including a complete list of the AFT films)
- American Film Theatre Scrapbook
- Enhanced for 16 x 9 TVs
Directed by Christopher Miles, The Maids is a 1974 film version of the play by French absurdist writer Jean Genet. Solange (Glenda Jackson) and Claire (Susannah York) are two sisters who work as servants for a strict Madame (Vivian Merchant). When Madame and Monsieur (Mark Burns) leave the house, the two women enact dramatic role playing games. To get out their sexual frustrations against their boss and each other, they alternate the parts of master and servant. They both love and hate the Madame passionately enough to plot her murder. During a particularly intense game of play, Claire accidentally drinks the poison that was meant for the Madame. The Maids is part of producer Ely Landau's American Film Theatre Series, which ran in select theaters from 1973-1975. In 2003, all 14 films in the series were given a wide release on home video from Kino International. ~ Andrea LeVasseur, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Glenda Jackson - Solange
- Susannah York - Claire
- Vivien Merchant - Madame
- Mark Burns - Monsieur