- SKU: 4303462
- Release Date: 10/30/2001
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
- New 16 x 9 widescreen digital transfer supervised by director Peter Medak and restored to the original full-length version, never before available in the U.S.
- Commentary track by Peter O'Toole, Peter Medak, and writer Peter Barnes
- Peter Medak's home movies shot on location for "The Ruling Class"
- A collection of rare publicity and behind-the-scenes production stills
- Original trailer
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- RSDL dual-layer edition
- 1.78:1 aspect ratio
An institutionalized schizophrenic with a Messiah complex inherits the position of an English Earl in this cutting satire of British society, based on a play by Peter Barnes. The film's irreverent tone is established with the disturbingly hilarious death of the thirteenth Earl of Gurney during a bizarre attempt at auto-erotic asphyxiation. To the dismay of the earl's family, the title passes to his son Jack (Peter O'Toole), who has been locked away for eight years after claiming to be the second coming of Jesus Christ. Mad but harmless, Jack is released to assume his seat. However, his embrace of Christianity proves incompatible with a position of power in "normal" society, where peace and love are considered serious weaknesses, and a somewhat unhinged psychiatrist is called to help him adjust. Meanwhile, Jack's scheming uncle, Sir Charles (William Mervyn), works on developing a complex scheme to trick Jack out of his position. Loaded with idiosyncratic touches from eccentric camera angles to unexpected outbursts of song, the film creates an experience nearly as inspired and mad as O'Toole's brilliantly hilarious central performance. The film's devilish invention may at times seem overloaded, but most drawbacks are redeemed by the sharpness of the satire, particularly during the memorably disturbing finale. ~ Judd Blaise, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Peter O'Toole - 14th Earl Of Gurney
- Alastair Sim - Bishop Lampton
- Arthur Lowe - Tucker
- Harry Andrews - 13th Earl Of Gurney
- Coral Browne - Lady Claire