- SKU: 20150648
- Release Date: 05/08/2012
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
- Commentary by Director Jon Amiel and Producer Kenneth Trodd
- "Dennis Potter: Under The Skin" - An exclusive documentary on the life and career of Dennis Potter
- A rarely seen Interview featuring Dennis Potter's personal recollections of "The Singing Detective"
- Photo Gallery, "Points of View" Articles, Cast Bios
- Closed Captioned
With the notable exception of Pennies From Heaven, The Singing Detective was the best-known TV miniseries project of the iconoclastic, darkly humored Dennis Potter. A reworking of Potter's first novel Hide and Seek, the six-part series starred Michael Gambon as crime novelist Philip E. Marlow. Suffering from a hellish skin-and-nerve disease called psoriatic arthroparthy (a painful infliction which ultimately killed the real-life Potter), Marlow was confined to a hospital bed, where under the influence of numerous prescription drugs he began to imagine himself as the hard-boiled hero of his latest detective novel. While trying to solve a difficult case, Marlow continually drifted backward in time to his childhood in the Forest of Dean, occasionally bursting into song to express his emotions. As fantasy and reality merged into one, Marlow was forced into a tortuous session of self-analysis and personal discovery. Virtually everyone in the cast was seen in double and triple roles, including nominal leading ladies Alison Steadman and Joanne Whalley (aka Joanne Whalley-Kilmer). The series earned two BAFTA awards (the British equivalent of the Emmys), one for Best Actor to Michael Gambon. After its initial BBC1 run from November 16, to December 21, 1986, The Singing Detective was shown in the United States via public and cable television, where it picked up another award, the prestigious Peabody, in 1989. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Michael Gambon - Philip Marlow
- Patrick Malahide - Mark Binney / Finney / Raymond
- Janet Suzman - Nicola
- Alison Steadman - Lili, Mrs. Marlow