- SKU: 30237183
- Release Date: 03/22/2016
- On qualifying products, Best Buy will then verify the current price to complete the price match.
Ratings & Reviews
- Audio commentary featuring Yasujiro Ozu scholar David Desser, editor of Ozu's "Tokyo Story"
- Documentary from 1988 about actor Chishu Ryu's work At Shockiku's Ofuna Studio, featuring an interview with Ryu
- I Lived, But . . . , a two-hour documentary from 1983 about Ozu's life and career, featuring interviews with critics and former cast and crew members
- Talking with Ozu, a forty-minute tribute to the director from 1993, featuring the reflections of filmmakers Lindsay Anderson, Claire Denis, Hou Hsiao-hsien, Aki Kaurismäki, Stanley Kwan, Paul Schrader, and Wim Wenders
As with much of director Yasujiro Ozu's work, a plot summary of this film does not do justice to the emotional power that Ozu lends to this sad, understated tale. An elderly couple, Shukichi (Chishu Ryu) and Tomi Hirayama (Chieko Higashiyama), leaves their small coastal village in southern Japan to visit their married children in Tokyo. Their eldest son, Koichi (So Yamamura), a doctor running a clinic in a working-class part of town, is too busy to show them around town, and their eldest daughter is occupied with her beauty salon. Only their widowed daughter-in-law, Noriko, played memorably by Setsuko Hara, is willing to take time off work to show the couple the sights of Tokyo. The older children arrange for their parents to visit Atami Hot Springs, but the unimpressed couple soon returns to Tokyo. Tomi stays with her daughter-in-law while Shukichi goes out drinking with some of his buddies, and the bunch complains about their vague sense of disappointment toward their children. Later, he stumbles into his daughter Shige's (Haruko Sugimura ) house late at night. On the way back to their village, tragedy strikes. The callous inattention that son and daughter paid to their parents becomes unamendable. Shige and Koichi quickly return to their busy lives in Tokyo after the funeral, as Noriko and youngest daughter Kyoko (Kyoko Kagawa) remain. ~ Jonathan Crow, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Chishu Ryu - Shukishi Hirayama
- Chieko Higashiyama - Tomi Hirayama
- So Yamamura - Koichi
- Setsuko Hara - Noriko
- Kyoko Kagawa - Kyoko
0 out of 1 found this review helpful.