This is from my review of the August HomeKit lock:
We ordered two HomeKit versions of the locks, the camera/doorbell and the keypad.
1. The lock itself is HUGE. Not very attractive even if the finish matches other hardware. It operates smoothly and unlocks as it should when you're nearby. Still the knob was too large for my wife's hand. You must have a deadbolt installed as the August lock is a retrofit only including the rear part of the lock.
2. Each lock requires its own August Connect to act as the gateway between the Bluetooth and wireless connections. Each Connect must be within 20 feet of the lock which isn't always easy as there may not be electricity in the entryway. The Connect is required if you want to view or control the state of the lock remotely.
3. The Keypad is simple and does its job as expected.
4. The camera/doorbell is a total mess. Setup is easy but it goes offline frequently; sometimes it will come back online but more often than not, it will just stay offline. There was a "secret" way to reset the camera in the iOS software but, apparently, it no longer works after an update. This is a problem because if the camera is offline, you have to remove it from the wall which means having to remove the security screw; not an easy task. Then, you have to push the reset button and reverse the process. Picture is clear and the voice is easy to understand on both ends. It does include a wedge for doorbells close to the door.
5. In addition to the fact that you can't reset the doorbell in the iOS software, you can't do a lot because there is NO documentation. You would think that shipping their locks for a couple of years, they would have some documentation even online. The only support is the FAQ and installation video for each product. There's a lot to be customized but just try figuring out how to get there. Beyond that, contact support.
6. Support is decent. Submit a ticket and you're promised you'll be contacted by the next day. Each time, I waited 24 hours and then called them directly because I hadn't heard from anyone. The only phone number access will be sent to you in a receipt for your support ticket.
I have given up on August as a viable solution after waiting for months for a promised delivery. It was a waste of time and I replaced the August system with a Kwikset Kēvo which had an easier setup. One has to buy a Bluetooth Gateway but one is sufficient for multiple locks. It doesn't have a keypad but two real keys, two e-Keys (additional e-Keys are $0.99) and a key fob. In addition, I installed a Ring Pro and Ring Cameras. All-in-all, a much easier installation and they work flawlessly. In addition, the Ring and Kēvo work together so I can unlock the door from the Ring app.