Diabolique [Criterion Collection] [Blu-ray] 
- SKU: 2821045
- Release Date: 05/17/2011
Ratings & Reviews
- Selected-Scene Commentary by French-Film Scholar Kelley Conway
- New Video Introduction by Serge Bromberg, CoDirector of Henri-Georges Clouzot's "Inferno"
- New Video Interview with Novelist and Film Critic Kim Newman
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- PLUS: A Booklet featuring an Essay by Film Critic Terrence Rafferty
The greatest film that Alfred Hitchcock never made, Henri-Georges Clouzot's Diabolique is set in a provincial boarding school run by headmaster Michel Delasalle (Paul Meurisse). A ruthless lothario, he becomes the target of a murder plot concocted by his long-suffering invalid wife Christina (Vera Clouzot, the director's own spouse) and his latest mistress, an icy teacher played by Simone Signoret. A dark, dank thriller with a much-imitated "shock" ending, Diabolique is a masterpiece of Grand Guignol suspense. The simple murder plot goes haywire, and Michel's corpse disappears, prompting strange rumors of his reappearance which grow more and more substantial as the film careens wildly towards its breathless conclusion. Later remade as a greatly inferior 1996 Hollywood feature with Sharon Stone and Isabelle Adjani. ~ Jason Ankeny, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Simone Signoret - Nicole Horner
- Paul Meurisse - Michel Delasalle
- Charles Vanel - Inspector Fichet
- Pierre Larquey - Drain
- Noël Roquevert - Herboux
Most Helpful ReviewsSee all reviews
FOREIGN CLASSIC MASTERPIECESeptember 15, 2008
Henri-Georges Clouzot is a classic Cinema master. This paved the way for future thrillers. An ending that still haunts. Criterion Collection does a great job on the transfer.
I would recommend this to a friend
Reviews Mentioning: Read all Reviews
Looks like we're having trouble displaying reviews for this feature
0 out of 0 found this review helpful.