Explore Gift Ideas for Geeks
Let's face it, today's explosion of amazing technology has turned everyone into a bit of a geek — even grandma and grandpa have smartphones now. But there are those whose love of tech has gone from a pastime to a passion, those who always seem to be one step ahead of the next big thing. Their discerning eye for the latest and greatest tech makes it tough to wow them with a great gift. That's where Best Buy comes in. We know tech geeks better than anyone (heck, we even have our own Geek Squad®), and with our expert advice, you can still find the perfect gift for the geek in your life.
The newest frontier in our connected world is the Internet of Things, a future where everyday items work together to make life easier, taking orders from the tap of your finger. The products below are some of the options that give geeks total control over the things they use every day.
Smart Home Geek
Nowhere is the Internet of Things making a bigger splash than right at home. With a Wi-Fi connection and the right devices, the possibilities are practically endless.
Philips Hue Smart Lighting Starter Kit
Philips Hue lets you wirelessly control the lights in your house. We're not just talking on and off; you can use color and brightness to set the mood anywhere between party time and bed time, set timers to help you fall asleep and wake up more naturally, and integrate with a multitude of smart home functions. The Hue Smart Bridge controller comes with the kit and is compatible with most device ecosystems. It can control up to 50 lights, along with other Hue add-ons like motion sensors and dimmer switches.
- Adjust lighting from the Hue app even when you're not home
- Sync your lights to movies, music and games for immersive entertainment experiences
- Pair with voice assistants like Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant
Sony LF-S50G Smart Speaker with Google Voice Assistant
Nothing says smart home like a speaker that answers your questions, obeys commands and lets you control other devices with your voice. The Sony LF-S50G smart speaker isn't the first voice assistant on the market, but its abundance of features and Sony's high-quality 360° sound make it a versatile speaker that music fans will truly appreciate.
- Built-in Google Assistant
- Touch-free gesture control lets you skip songs with the wave of your hand
- Built-in battery and splash-proof design so you can listen anywhere you want
- Digital clock display
Mohu Airwave Wireless HDTV Antenna
Cutting the cord on cable or satellite TV service is something of a holy grail for geeks. By combining local network broadcasts with streaming apps like Netflix and Hulu, you can get all the content you want for a fraction of the cost of cable. The Mohu Airwave wireless antenna is the first product available that melds both broadcast and streaming into one convenient device.
- Set up the antenna anywhere you get a Wi-Fi signal
- Use the Mohu app to watch broadcast TV and free streaming channels from anywhere, including any TV in the house with a smart connection
- Compatible with most streaming players, smartphones and tablets
My Cloud Home 4TB External Hard Drive
Most geeks own a lot of digital content, and they want to be able to access it when they need it. My Cloud lets them put all of that content in one place, where it's easy to locate and access from anywhere. How much content can a 4 terabyte hard drive hold? We're talking years of music, months of HD video, hundreds of 4K movies, hundreds of thousands of high-quality images — more than enough for any content lover.
- Plugs directly into your Wi-Fi router
- Compatible with Apple, PC, and Android devices
- Works with Time Machine to back up your Mac computer
Sony Smart 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range
You don't need to be a geek to enjoy your favorite content in stunning 4K picture quality, but for those who take their movies, TV shows, sports and games seriously, Sony's High Dynamic Range 4K TV is a game changer. The enhanced color and contrast make for a brighter, more natural image that practically pops off the screen. And of course, it's got the smarts to connect with streaming apps and other devices, with no extra hookups needed.
- Smart TV with built-in Wi-Fi and Internet browsing capability
- Chromecast built-in to cast content from a device
- Dolby Digital Surround Sound support
Star Wars Geek
Right now, life is good for Star Wars geeks. With new movies every year, plus loads of extended universe goodies available, including video games, app-enabled droids, and even augmented reality, the battle between Star Wars geeks and Trekkies has never been so lopsided.
Lenovo Star Wars Jedi Challenge Headset with Lightsaber Controller and Tracking Beacon
In this augmented reality, you take on the persona of a Jedi knight, fighting virtual lightsaber duels against your opponents.The Jedi Challenge augmented reality headset uses tracking beacons and cameras to analyze the environment around you and fill it with an immersive landscape.
- Works with most iOS and Android smartphones
- Transparent front shield enables smartphone cameras to use Star Wars AR apps
- Lightsaber and tracking beacon included
The computer screen is now the medium of choice for artistry and creativity, but the tools that these new artists work with are still evolving. Better software, more responsive touch screens, and more intuitive keyboards are leading the way.
Logitech Craft Wireless Keyboard
The Craft wireless keyboard takes one big idea — the Creative Input Dial — and runs with it. In the process, it rethinks the way digital creativity gets expressed. The dial instantly accesses menus of functions based on the app you're using, allowing the creative juices to flow uninterrupted. Tweak images in Photoshop, create charts in Excel, and much more.
- Switch between typing on up to 3 devices at once with the touch of a button
- Recognizes Adobe creative suite and Microsoft Office applications
- Backlit keys light up before your fingers even touch them
Geek on the Go
Away from home, today's geeks still need to stay connected to work, stay in touch with friends and family, and keep track of goals like fitness activities. From the ever-present smartphone to ingenious smart bike wheels, there's plenty of tech to keep up with their mobile lifestyles.
Samsung Galaxy Note8
Whether it's shooting pro-level photography or taking notes at an offsite meeting, the Note8 packs the power of multiple devices into one sleekly designed package.
- Dual cameras with Optical Image Stabilization
- Pro Mode photography with all the options of a DSLR camera
- S-Pen can handwrite notes and messages, make GIFs and more with the feel of a real pen
Electron Wheel Electric Bike Wheel
By turning your conventional bicycle into a smart bike, you can take your adventures further afield. Electron Wheel is designed to replace your bike's front wheel, which makes it easier to attach than its rear-wheel competitors and maintains your ability to shift gears. The wheel automatically senses and adjusts its output to ride conditions, all while communicating distance, speed and battery life right to your mobile device.
- 250W motor with an efficient 10.7 lithium-ion battery
- Powers your bike up to 20 mph with a range 30 miles
- Fits most bikes with front-rim brakes
For the beer geek, the enjoyment of suds goes beyond what's on tap at the neighborhood pub. As connoisseurs of craft brew, they count their favorites from among artisan brewers the world over, and it can be a challenge for them to find what they're looking for locally.
Picobrew PicoPro Home Brewing System
This brewing system lets beer geeks experience some truly great microbrews from across the country at the height of freshness and tailored to their own tastes. PicoPro has all the advantages of home brewing with less time and effort required than traditional from-scratch setups.
- Includes two 6.6L ball-lock kegs
- PicoPaks allow you to replicate famous and hard-to-find beers in your own home
- Easy to use and connect to your kegerator or party tap
- Forced carbonation system lets you enjoy finished beer faster