St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
St. Jude partnership and milestones.
St. Jude has recognized Best Buy’s partnership as instrumental in helping St. Jude continue its groundbreaking research and exceptional care. And we, at Best Buy, are honored to be a part of this critical lifesaving mission. Since our partnership began in 2013, St. Jude has reached the following milestones:
- St. Jude has launched the St. Jude Cloud: an online data-sharing, analysis and collaboration portal that marks a new era of research into childhood cancer survivorship by making clinical and genomic data from thousands of childhood cancer survivors accessible to researchers worldwide.
- Discovered a cure for “bubble boy” disease: (Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Disease) a very rare genetic disease that causes a child to have a very weak immune system. As a result, the child is unable to fight off even mild infections. The disease is known as the “living in the bubble” syndrome because living in a normal environment can be fatal to a child who has it.
- St. Jude Global initiative: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital has launched an ambitious initiative to improve access to care for children with cancer and life-threatening diseases in every corner of the world, and to develop plans to enhance its quality and provide better options for a cure. St. Jude Global will create a network of interactive institutions that will form a global alliance focused on improving survival rates of children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases worldwide, through the sharing of knowledge, technology and organizational skills.
Donations to St. Jude through Best Buy are making a significant impact.
Thanks to your contributions, Best Buy’s fundraising efforts for St. Jude topped $22.5 million last year. To put the impact of that funding into perspective, those donations have supplied St. Jude with the funds necessary to do any of the following:
- Cover in-patient hospital stays of 1,931 days
- Cover the cost of treating 52 pediatric cancer patients, whose treatment can last up to 3 years or more, at a cost of $425,000 per patient
- Cover the cost of 236 brain tumor patients receiving radiotherapy treatments
- Cover the $3 million daily operating costs of the entire hospital for 7½ days
Your support is what makes Best Buy’s partnership with St. Jude possible.
Since 2013, Best Buy has raised over $100 million for the lifesaving work being done at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. In 2019, Best Buy set a record of raising the most money in a single year by a corporate partner through our St. Jude Thanks and Giving® campaign. Best Buy team members consistently support St. Jude throughout the year by volunteering at local St. Jude fundraising events and participating in the St. Jude Walk/Run.