Questions & Answers
QuestionDo you need an antenna to get channels or is the antenna built in? Or you get local channels via sling?
- Answer AirTV doesn’t have a built in antenna. You need to attach an antenna to pick up local Over-the-air channels. You can then have Sling integrate the local channels into the Sling program guide so that all channels are available in one place.
QuestionCan this work over internet (like sling box does) sender and receiver in different network locations or it works only on same network wireless?
- Answer You are able to view your antenna content both in and outside of network using the AirTV. In fact, as long as your device is located within the United States or Puerto Rico, you can view it anywhere that you can find an internet connection using the AirTV app. https://www.airtv.net/
QuestionWhat is Sling TV ? I use Over-The-Air antenna on my HDTV. Can I use this product to record programs from the TV? How many hours of recoding available on this product? Does it need Wi-Fi or can it be connected to TV with a cable ?
- Answer You can use Air TV by itself or with Sling TV. You hook-up OTA antenna to Air TV box and it will send the channels to your router via wifi or direct CAT5 cable connection. You will then need a Smart TV or Roku with Air TV or Sling app installed to receive the OTA channels coming from your router to your TV. All TV's in your house that are capable of running the Air TV app can receive your OTA channels via wifi, (two TV's at the same time). You can use it as a DVR by connecting an external hard drive to the Air TV box to hold your recordings and they will be sent to your TV's via your routers wifi too. I highly recommend you use a Roku Ultra with Sling TV app and the Air TV box to receive OTA channels as well as free Roku channels. No monthly fee to use Roku, no monthly fee to use Sling app to receive your Air TV channels. If you do get a Sling subscription, (recommended) your OTA channels will also be included in the Sling channel guide. This combination works great, very similar to having cable but much cheaper. Do some research and go for it! Good luck!
I would recommend:
QuestionIf you connect up the AirTV in one location, are you able to watch on a TV via the Sling App on a Roku in another location/state? I know you can watch with handheld devices, but just want to verify this would work on a TV as well.
- Answer I can not verify if it will work in another state, but my parents use a Roku at their house and the air tv is at my house and it works just fine. We are only a few miles away from each other, but it should work no matter how far.
- Answer Using the AirTV (black box), in order to access your DVR content, you would need to have your device connected to the internet.
- Answer The previous answer is correct - you are able to use our product with several platforms, including Fire TV, Roku, and Android. We have a list of compatible devices that you may want to check out at this link: https://www.airtv.net/help-how-to/articles/airtv_what-devices-are-compatible.aspx
QuestionWill this work with a WD My Passport hard drive that is preformatted for Mac? (Such as this product: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-passport-for-mac-1tb-external-usb-3-0-portable-hard-drive-with-hardware-encryption-black/6220721.p?skuId=6220721.)
- Answer Any drive you plug in will be reformatted by the AirTV.
QuestionMy HDTV is connected to an Over-The-Air antenna and I do not plan on streaming. Do I need Sling TV subscription to use this product? Does it need an external hard drive to record programs or hard drive is built in?
- Answer Hi there! The previous answers are mostly correct - just wanted to clarify a few points. The device itself does not have storage; in order to use the DVR features you will need to attach an external hard drive. https://www.airtv.net/airtvdvr/ You will also need to be using the Sling app. You can create a free Sling guest account via https://www.sling.com/airtv
- Answer Yes you need sling to get HGTV. This device only incorporates your local channels over the air tv to your long service . Sling doesn’t offer local channels with any of their packages. I like being able to see all channels on the sling guide instead of switching input tabs to see local news.
QuestionThe best location for my antenna is nowhere near my router. Can I buy a wifi extender that has an ethernet port to connect to the airtv box or must I plug the airtv box directly into the router?
- Answer You can do that, Rob. As long as the device can recognize your WiFi network, you should be good to go. A number of customers have had success using mesh networks or WiFi extenders. Please let us know if you have any trouble with it!
- Answer You're good with any of the Portable Hard Drives from Western Digital or Seagate. I'm using a 2TB WD that I found on sale at Best Buy, before that I was using a 128GB Thumb Drive, have had no problems with either.
I would recommend:
QuestionI see that it has the Sling credit until 12/31. If I order one it says I'll receive it after 12/31. Will I still be able to apply the Sling credit if I receive the Airtv after 12/31?
- Answer Yes, you would be able to use that credit towards your Sling account after 12/31. The promotion certificates display an expiration date in error - they are still applicable.
- Answer Yes, the $25 coupon is good only through 12/31/18
- Answer Of course it is good if you want to watch live TV with local channels and can watch one anywhere on your smartphone