- QuestionWhat is the difference between the Dot and the Echo? (10 Answers)Answers
The echo has a fairly good speaker built in suitable for listening to music - given its size. The dot has a small utility speaker and is designed for providing responses to your questions/commands. The dot is designed to be hooked up to external speakers via Bluetooth or rca type adaptor. The dot is very small relative to the Echo.
- QuestionIs it the second generation? There is a very similar product to be released on Amazon which is clearly marked as "All-New Echo Dot (2nd Generation)". I want to make sure that this is exactly the same item before I place the order. Thanks. (11 Answers)Answers
- QuestionInterested in buying this for someone but don't want them to have to purchase alot of apps to be able to use it. Is that the case? (10 Answers)Answers
- QuestionAre there privacy concerns with Echo Dot being always on and communicating with Amazon Cloud? Does it record all sounds that it picks up? If so is there a way to shut it off or mute the microphone so it is not constantly recording? (5 Answers)Answers
It is always listening 24/7 for that keyword " Alexa" . The only way to power it off is to unplug. If you are paranoid about it listening to everything, there is a mute button on top that you can hit and the lighted ring around the top will turn red and it will not hear anything no matter how many times you say " Alexa".
- QuestionIs the dot a speaker also where it plays music in the room it is located? (10 Answers)Answers
Yes, but the speaker functionality is not as good as the full size Echo. I would rate it more like a clock radio speaker. It is fine for a bedroom or kitchen, but I have Echos in my livingroom and dining room so I can enjoy music with better quality. You can hook the Dot into an existing sound system via wire or Bluetooth, whereas the Echo does not have a line out option.
- QuestionDoes this use data on your wireless plan? (10 Answers)Answers
- QuestionWill dot work with tv? (10 Answers)
- QuestionI presume it is battery operated? What size batteries and what is the average life? (10 Answers)
- QuestionI have a laptop, and am on line, but no other devices. (no smart phones, tablets, Ipads...) Will this work for me? (5 Answers)Answers
- QuestionI have the tap do I need the the dot? (5 Answers)Answers
The Dot and Tap serve different functions. Tap is great to use as a portable speaker but you have to push the button every time you want to activate Alexa. The Dot does not have a built-in battery, so it isn't portable, unless you use an external battery pack. What the Dot gives you is voice-activation of Alexa--which is huge. You can just say "Alexa, what's the weather?" or "Alexa, turn on the bedroom lights." from across the room and she will answer/follow your command. The Dot also has the advantage of allowing you connect to external speakers, either via the audio output jack on the Dot or via Bluetooth.
Best Buy is not responsible for answers provided by Community Answers, Customers, or other third parties. Accuracy not guaranteed. Terms and Conditions