Questions & Answers
QuestionUsing an external drive off of the USB port, can we use Plex to categorize and watch/listen to movies/music like we can if the files are stored on an internal hard drive?
- Answer Yes, I bought the Shield to use as both a PLEX server and client. It took a little time for me to discover that unlike a PC I couldn’t just attach an External HDD to one of the Shield’s USB ports and instantly setup the PLEX server. I had to first format the HDD to Wipe the drive completely and merge the HDD with the Shield’s internal storage. The issue here is that once formatted on the Shield the External HDD will only work on the Shield (unless re-formatted for PC). This meant that I couldn’t remove the HDD from the shield, connect it to a PC and add media. That left me with an empty 4TB HDD while all of my media was still on my PC’s HDD. After lots of Googling/YouTubing I discovered that I’d have to first mount my PC as Network Storage to the Shield and then transfer my Media across the Network directly to the Shield. It works great now but it definitely took some time to figure out the process. There is a lot of conflicting information on the internet and especially YouTube. Hopefully this helps you avoid the same pitfalls I encountered.
Question0MG.....has anyone seen the review chigz tech did on this new box yesterday?? This "NEW" shield appears to be the same box they released 2 years ago. As hard as he tried, he could not verify that ANY of the hardware had been upgraded. see the video!!!
- Answer Not true. This model has a newer Tegra chip and the unit is 25% faster than the older models. True not much else has changed but it is a faster processor. I have both models and I can definitely tell the difference in load times.
QuestionDoes the remote that comes with the Shield TV Pro 2019 have a headphone jack? I've read conflicting reports.
- Answer The remote does not have a headphone jack. It does have a microphone for Google assistant interaction.
QuestionDo I need the FireStick or the Cube to get Amazon Prime Video Services? If so Which one works best with NVidia Shield Pro - the FireStick or the Cube ?
- Answer The shield is its own streaming unit that can also do a fair bit more. You can download the Prime Video channel on this just fine. No extra hardware required.
- Answer yes you can
- Answer If you’re confused between the two consoles after having a closer look at their hardware, well, you only need to remember two things. Firstly, what do you need an Android home console for? Are you a streamer or a gamer? This question will usually help you make a choice between the two devices. The SkyStream III Plus is an exceptional product for the current market situation and fits in very nicely with the crop of Android running consoles available in the market. If you’re looking solely towards gaming, the Shield TV is a no-brainer really. It has all the features that would appeal to a gaming enthusiast along with the addition of the standard Android features like Google Assistant and the goodness of Android. NVIDIA is also pretty decent with updates, so you’ll have no trouble keeping this for a long time. By the way, I own a SHIELD 2019 model and its just awesome!
- Answer The one I bought in the US only comes with US adapter.
QuestionCan I use Shield TV Pro as surveillance station? Does it support only Wi-Fi enabled IP cameras or can wired cams be plugged in through Ethernet hub?
- Answer yes it could act as a surveillance station via some paid add-on apps...both Wi-Fi and ethernet cams would work...wired better quality and reliability...I haven't done a full recording setup yet but I have my cameras viewable in an app...and that app had options for recording....I think many apps do....
QuestionDoes the remote have to be pointed directly at the Shield to work or is it more like a Firestick where you can point it at the ceiling or at a wall and it works/Changes channels still?
- Answer The remote is bluetooth so it does not need to be pointed at the receiver to work
QuestionNew to streaming so wanted to know can i use this for multiple TV's? I currently have 4 TV's (1 with comcast DVR and 3 others with their small boxes). If yes how does that work or do i need one for every TV? Thanks
- Answer If you get the “Pro” version, you can install Plex media server which will “serve up” your videos to other devices (phones, tablets, computers or TV’s.) In order to do this you’ll need storage for the media files (UBS HDD, thumb drive or NAS box.j You’ll probably want to hardwire to Ethernet and you should be good-to-go if you have ‘smart’ TV’s… e.g., my Samsung TV will natively play media from a Plex server.
- Answer Yes you can go into the settings tab and Google it on our off
QuestionHi I'm very new at this streaming stuff.....Wondering, I want to get rid of my cable, but my husband has specific channels and shows he likes. How can I guarantee to still receive those specific shows? Is there something additional I would need with this
- Answer There are multiple apps in google play store you can download and install in this device like XUMO (live tv and movies and tv shows) That's free, netflix. Also you can install Kodi but you would need to configure yourself it is a media player app can run addons and apps Hope that helps
- Answer Always buy it online that doesn't hurt Or www.Nvidia shield.com
- Answer Yes you can! If you use an HDHomeRun for your TV tuning needs, you can simply turn on DVR service within the default "Live Channels" app that comes pre-installed...or look into services like "Channels DVR" to help you with this.