Questions & Answers
QuestionWill the ring doorbell 2 work with this 9 piece kit? Can you arm/disarm the system from the app on your phone? I assume I can add additional doorway sensors, more than what comes with the kit? For fee, will geeksquad install all my ring equipment?
- Answer - Yes on doorbell 2 - I have that set up and it’s all integrated in the app so you can see all of your devices. - Yes for arm/disarm in app - Yes you can add additional sensors to the system - it’s all done via the app - I believe geek squad can do it, but as the previous comment said, this system is designed to be done by homeowners with little to no experience (like me!) - it’s all plug and play. One item to note - the motion camera is default to run just like your ring doorbell - any movement any time. It can flood your notifications and record movement. Simple fix - disable the camera in settings and have it only activate when you set the alarm to away mode.
- Answer The package comes with 1 motion sensor, 4 contact sensors, a base station, a range extender, an indoor camera, charging stations, and the keypad. Extra items you can purchase to add on are more sensors, more cameras, and the ring doorbell.
- Answer From what I’ve seen new/improvements: - Overall all parts of the system are smaller than Gen 1 - alarm pad has added quick access to emergency services (Police, Fire etc) - Contact sensors can be spaced farther apart (1” compared to 1/2”). This lets you place them in more areas (my example is decorative moulding would have restricted me for gen 1) There’s likely more but most of the new is cosmetic changes but the reduction in size is nice as it can blend in more w/ it’s surroundings and not be as noticeable.
- Answer A Best Buy online chat agent told me it is a 2nd Generation system.
QuestionWhen the system alerts you to a door/window tripping, does the system just play a chime (like SimpliSafe) or does it actually announce what tripped?
- Answer Hi, you can change the settings in the ring app to play different sounds for different items, but the fun part is if you have an Alexa you can train her to say stuff like Nothing important but I think your front door is opened. Everytime the front porch is opened, or a classic when my living room door is opened. Welcome to the party.....pal. And when doors and windows that are rarely opened (had break ins with those) she'll say stuff like Get out and a lot of other words that I am sure Best Buy wouldn't like me to use on here. Alexa can also open up songs in Amazon Music or Sirus XM when a door or window is opened which I'll also use when and if we go on vacation (thanks to the pandemic) .
QuestionIs this a self monitoring system? It will send text to your phone if breached? I do not want a monthly monitoring fee, I already have that and want to get a self monitoring system
- Answer Yes, in the settings menus for door/motion sensors You can customize it to alert you. I happen to really like the Ring monitoring though so I use that (with an elderly parent in the house I like to know she’s ok when I’m gone, even if she can’t get to a phone).
QuestionRing uses a cellular chip in the base station to communicate with a central monitoring service, but the sensors in the wireless system use wi-fi connections. If your internet cable (Wi-fi) is cut, will central monitoring lose visibility of your system?
- Answer If wifi cuts out, the cellular chip turns on. That will send a signal to the closest cellular tower to your home. The one caveat is that you only get that option if you pay for their professional service. If you don't pay the monthly/annual service, then if wifi is lost, the cellular chip will not activate (imagine like your paying for a cell phone service plan).
QuestionWith this package, is there any reason to have a Basic Subscription plan? I know with a Premium (or whatever it's called) package, you get the 24/7 monitoring, but what are the benefits of this bundle with a Basic plan?
- Answer Hello Robert, A Protect Plus plan would be required for the professional monitoring service. Get the most out of Ring Alarm with 24/7 professional monitoring from Ring Protect Plus. When your alarm is triggered, professional monitoring can request the help you need, day or night. Get 24/7 protection in case of: Burglaries or Break-Ins Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Floods and Freezing Temperatures Learn more here: https://ring.com/protect-plans. For any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out on our community forum at https://community.ring.com/. Thanks, Alexis with Ring
QuestionCan I add others to be able to disable and enable the system? If so, How many can I add to it?
- Answer You can add more with personalized codes. When they use that code, it alerts you who disarmed/armed it. You can also pick and choose who is allowed to change any settings i.e. you can give your spouse an edit code and your mother-in-law only a code to disarm it. Not entirely sure how many you can add but definitely a few.
QuestionDoes the 2nd generation allow you to disable the "siren" to silent mode to avoid any false alarms and unnecessary noise? (1st generation was not capable of this feature!)
- Answer It does not have a feature for a silent alarm. You need to find out what is causing the false alarm and fix that issue so the alarm can do its job by making noise and scaring away the intruder.
- Answer It stays plugged into your standard ac wall outlet all of the time.it is equipped with an internal back-up battery,for power outages.but leave it plugged in.
QuestionMy toddler wakes up randomly throughout the night and opens doors now. Someone is always home however I would like a back up while at work. Will the alarm activate or show live on phone if someone opens the door from inside the house?
- Answer Hello Smallchildren, Good question! Yes, the Ring Alarm Contact Sensor is designed to monitor your doors and windows. The Contact Sensor is made up of two parts - the sensor and the magnet - and when installed on your door or window, it can tell if the door or window is open or closed. Here is a helpful article with more information about proper placement and setup of the Ring Contact Sensor: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039497552 Please let us know if you have any additional questions by reaching out to our 24/7 dedicated support team! Thanks, Alexis with Ring
QuestionThe control panel shows 3 buttons on the left side (Police, Fire and Medical). How are these agencies notified? Do you must subscribe to the monitoring service for these to be active?
- Answer Yes it’s a subscription. It will ask for you to sign up but you don’t have to if you don’t want it.
QuestionHow strong is the adhesive on the window sensors? Any concerns about them losing stickiness and falling off?
- Answer It has been work well for us. No problem so far what so ever. As long as you clean the area, wipe all the dusk of, the adhesive should work well.
- Answer Yes, the gen1 and gen2 bit and pieces are interchangeable.
- Answer Hello Mudgard! No, the Ring Alarm is not compatible with any other security brand's contact sensors. If you would like the windows and doors to be protected, you will want to replace the existing sensors with Ring Contact Sensors, of which (4) are included in the 8-Piece Security Kit. We would love to get connected with you to answer any other questions or concerns you might have regarding the Ring Alarm, and ensure we are helping you find a solution that works best for you! Please reach out to us directly through our Community Center on Ring.com: https://community.ring.com/ All the Best, Caitlin with Ring
- Answer No , it does not need to be hardwired. It can be installed either way. I hardwired mine only because I already had an existing doorbell . But it works just fine on battery only. Very easy to install . Directions are simple and easy , all hardware is included. Battery needs to be changed about once a month depending on traffic and settings . Tip: buy a spare battery , batteries take about 7 - 10 hours to charge. Just pop the spare in . Always up and running
- Answer It’s a plug in camera.