This should function as a plug & play device. Follow these steps:
1. Make sure the hard drive you are installing in the enclosure is a PATA hard drive.
2. Install the hard drive in the enclosure by removing the two screws from the back panel, then pull the tray out from the enclosure.
3. Place a PATA hard drive into the tray, connect the data connector to the corresponding connector on the enclosure board, then turn the tray over and secure the drive to the metal plate with the two provided screws.
4. Slide the assembly tray back into the enclosure, then secure it with the two screws you previously removed.
5. Connect the enclosure to the computer by plugging the USB 2.0 cable into the enclosure, then plug the cable into a USB port on the computer. The computer’s operating system automatically detects and sets up the new drive.
6. Go to My Computer or Computer and select the new drive. You should be able to transfer files back and forth from the drive and computer much like using a portable USB flash drive.