Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $249.99
QuestionWhat doee it mean: USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A/Type-C? Will it work with my older PC which has only 2.0 and 3.0 USB slots?
- Answer Please be informed that USB 3.1 Gen 2 is the USB Interface that this SSD Drive is optimized for and Type-A/ Type-C are the USB connector types that this SSD Drive can be connected through in a compatible device/ computer. Also, please note that this SSD Drive is backward compatible with USB 2.0/ USB 3.0 ports, however, you may not get the optimized higher data transfer speeds.
Questioninstead of upgrading the internal drive of my iMac, can I plug this into the type c port, reformat it, and install macOS onto it?
- Answer Simple answer to your question is a big YES. I bought this product for that exact reason, my iMac is 8years old and has an internal 5400 mechanical spinning disc hard drive. i am not worried about it coming loose as someone else mentioned. My iMac sits on my desk and never gets moved, now if your back there a lot plugging and unplugging things from your usb ports just be careful and you'll be fine. I've had mine for three weeks now and it works flawlessly. I downloaded the mac Mojave iOS on it then did a system migration from the internal hard drive to it and done, i am now enjoying it. I set my iMac to boot from this drive and it boots up way way faster then from the internal drive. My computer is also way faster as well, apps open up almost immediately. My mac was never this fast even when it was new. So far i'm very happy. Will this drive hold up and last 8 years like the original internal drive? I have no idea as of course i've not had it that long. However my original internal hard drive is still in there and intact and with all my stuff still on it. Should this drive fail i would only lose anything new i've added to it. But that's why its always important to do back ups and problem solved.
QuestionWhat is different between these two models ? SanDisk - Extreme 1TB External USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A/Type-C Portable Solid-State Drive Model:SDSSDE60-1T00-G25 AND Extreme 1TB External USB Type-C (NVMe) Portable Solid State Drive Model:SDSSDE61-1T00-G25
- Answer Hi, please be informed that the SanDisk Extreme Portable NVMe SSD Drive (SDSSDE61-1T00-G25) is the newer version which has faster data read and write speeds of upto 1050MB/s and 1000MB/s respectively when connected to a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Interface USB Port.
QuestionI'm going to Korea in 6 weeks for the first time (since being adopted as a baby) hoping to take lots of photos. Does this serve as a back up or do the pix get stored directly to this drive then? I can tell it's a fabulous idea and I should prob take one.
- Answer I'm assuming you plan on taking the photos with a phone or dedicated digital camera. This is just a solid-state hard drive, so you would need to physically connect it and transfer the photos to it. Depending on your photo taking device, you would most likely need to transfer them to this drive via a computer. That would make this a "back-up" but you could certainly then delete the photos from your photo taking device to allow for more to be taken.
QuestionWhat adapter would I need to attach this to my new MacBook Pro that only has 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports? Thanks!!
- Answer The short answer is none. Hardware commonly referred to as "USB-C devices" also will work with a Thunderbolt 3 port, but they will not be able to take advantage of the maximum speed provided by Thunderbolt 3 devices.
QuestionI'm a big gamer and have ran out of storage space on my internal hard drive. Can I use this as an external gaming platform to store the rest of my games?
- Answer I have 15 games installed on mine and have Steam linked to it as my primary directory. I have not seen any delays while using my thunderbolt 3 port.
QuestionI purchased my Apple Mac Desktop Computer in Jan. 2016 and the ports on it are USB 3.0 and not USB 3.1. Will the SanDisk-Extreme 1TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 TypeA/Type C portable Solid State Drive work on my Apple Mac Desktop. Adapter needed for 3.0 USB?
- Answer Yes it will work. There is an adapter that is packaged with the drive that allows you to connect it to a USB3 port
- Answer Do do not see why not. I have a 2014 IMAC 27" and it works just fine. I have an upgraded OS but i don't think that will matter. Just a word of caution, this device is a USB-C device with an adapter to USB-3 if you are not careful the usb-3 Adapter can be disturbed and cause the connection to the drive to be lost. This could be a problem and I recommend using something to tape these together if you will use the USB-3 adapter. If you are using usb-c directly this will not be an issue. Just my experience with this device.
- Answer This external hard drive is very small and compact. I purchased a little carrying case for it. However, in regards to it being droppable; it should be able to withstand a small drop.
QuestionDo I need to purchase an adapter to transfer photos from my phone to the ssd? Or does it come with it?
- Answer In the box is a USB-c to USB-c short cable plus a USB-c to USB-a adapter. So if you have an Android phone with USB-c you will be fine.
QuestionHi, I'd want to use this to transfer photos from my iPhone (that have already been transferred to Photos on my Mac) but I'm wondering if there is any kind of folder system on it. If I went to Finder would I be able to see this drive and create folders?
- Answer Yes, you can create folders in Finder.
QuestionWill this work with PS 5
- Answer Hi, please be informed that this SSD can be connected as an external drive connected to your PS5. If your PS5 allows playing games that are installed on an externally connected disk drive, then you should be able to play games on your PS5 using this SSD Drive. However, in order to know how to do the same if possible, we suggest you to contact Sony customer support.
- Answer Hi, we would be happy to help, but it would be best to contact us directly so that we can investigate further and provide you with an appropriate resolution. You can use the Ask form at https://kb-eu.sandisk.com/app/ask/ and there is also a phone number you can call available at https://www.sandisk.com/about/contact/customer-care.
QuestionDoes this come with automatic backup software? That is, can I use this to automatically backup my computer?
- Answer No it does not. Most computers have this ability to schedule backups though.
QuestionCan I install and run Photoshop Creative Cloud including Lightroom Classic on this SSD to work with a Lenovo desktop?
- Answer Hi, please be informed that this SSD can be used as an external drive connected to your computer. If your computer's Operating system allows you to work on software installed on an externally connected disk drive, then you should be able to work on Photoshop/ Lightroom installed on this SSD Drive. However, in order to know how to do the same if possible, we suggest you to contact Lenovo customer support.
- Answer You will need a USB-C to lightning adapter to use this with your iPhone.
- Answer Hi, in order to know how many music files/ photos/ minutes of video this Memory Card can store, we suggest you to visit our official website and view the web article for the same by referring to the below mentioned link:- - https://shop.westerndigital.com/solutions/memory-cards/hd-video/capacity-charts
Questionwill it work with Catalina on the MAC and if used for carbon copy cloner will it be bootable from this disk.
- Answer Hi Wendy, please be informed that we do not recommend using External SSD Drives to be used as a bootable drive. In order to know if your MAC computer would be able to boot from an External Drive, it would be best to contact Apple Support.
- Answer It is certainly compatible with a Mac as that is what I use it with, although you might have to reformat the drive according to your purposes. I'm not familiar with the 1080 files other than as a video resolution, but no immediate reason it wouldn't be occurs to me. However, careful research as to your intended purposes is recommended.