Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $359.99
The previous price was $399.99
Questionis this 8 TB of usable storage with mirrored drives? i.e. are these TWO 8 TB drives mirrored or two 4 TB drives when mirrored only give you 3.x or under 4 TB USEABLE storage. when mirrored how much will the target show as available day one?
- Answer 4TB mirrored (raid 1) by default. You can set it to not be mirrored and use "close" to 8TB, but you'll lose the benefit of the mirrored configuration. Out of the box I saw a total of 3.51 TB for use. A lot of space I haven't been able to account for. Formatting does not help with this.
- Answer Yes, the 8TB model is 2-4TB drives and can only has 4TB of storage when mirroring.
QuestionAre you able to create separate logins for different users and allow them to only see their own uploaded files?
- Answer YES!!!!!!! With the WD software it will be able to assign different users with their own passwords for their own private folders. As the system admin you can set every one up with their own account and also set up a public folder . One more thing it does have a dedicated folder for Time Machine . They can set up their Time Machine backup to be encrypted on their own Macs with their own password so no one else can get into their files without their password. that's how i did mine and its worked out great .
QuestionSo to be clear if I’m buying the unit that is 40,000 gb (4tb) it’s really two 2tb built into one unit. 80,000 is two 4tb built into one unit so on and so forth.
- Answer Hi Kc, Thank you for showing your interest in WD My Cloud Home Duo. Please know the capacity structure per: 8TB = (2x 4TB drives. 3.9TB usable capacity). Also refer to the link given below, In order to know more about the My Cloud Home duo. http://products.wdc.com/library/AAG/ENG/4178-707322.pdf
- Answer Technically yes but not easily and unless your a guru retaining existing files might be difficult
QuestionWhen documents are saved to these drives can they be edited and re-saved or is it strictly for backing up? Can one of these be used in place of One drive or Google drive?
- Answer they can be edited as if they are on your own hard drive
QuestionI use windows 10, my wife using Apple 0s, will we be able to create individual accounts using our respective operating platforms?
- Answer Absolutely. It's all web-based so if you can run the "WD Discovery" software on your OS then it'll work fine.
QuestionAs the HDD’s changeable? Let’s say I mirror the device and one of the HDD fails, ideally I want to replace that. Does the device allow that flexibility? Otherwise what’s the point of mirroring.....
- Answer Hi Scotty, You can refer to the user manual in order to know more about the WD My Cloud Home device. http://products.wdc.com/library/UM/ENG/4779-705163.pdf Need Help? Please see our "'Contact Us" page for information
- Answer Mine came with just 1 - 8 TB hard drive which formatted to one 8 TB drive.