Woman of the Year [Criterion Collection] [Blu-ray] 
- SKU: 32549881
- Release Date: 04/18/2017
Ratings & Reviews
- 1967 audio interview with George Stevens
- George Stevens: A Filmmaker's Journey, a 112-minute 1984 documentary by George Stevens Jr.
- New interview with George Stevens Jr.
- New interview with George Stevens biographer Marilyn Ann Moss
- New interview with writer Claudia Roth Pierpont on actor Katharine Hepburn
- The Spencer Tracy Legacy: A Tribute by Katharine Hepburn, an eighty-six-minute documentary from 1986
Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn costarred for the first time in the delectable romantic comedy Woman of the Year. Tracy plays New York sportswriter Sam Craig, who becomes incensed at comments about the uselessness of sports made by foreign correspondent Tess Harding (Hepburn). Sam and Tess subsequently use their respective columns to carry on a feud-at least, until they finally meet face to face. After Sam takes Tess to her first baseball game (one of the funniest scenes ever committed to celluloid), the two fall in love. Once married, however, their happiness is threatened by their wildly divergent lifestyles (Sam hadn't intended to spend his honeymoon helping to hide a prominent European refugee from the authorities, nor is Tess prepared for her husband's rowdy sports-oriented pals). When Tess is voted "Woman of the Year", a jealous Sam walks out on her. She endeavors to win him back by cooking him breakfast-with disastrous results. Despite their oil-and-water relationship, Sam and Tess are made for each other, and they're back together for the final fadeout. A hands-down winner at the box office, Woman of the Year earned a "best original screenplay" Oscar for Ring Lardner Jr. and Michael Kanin. Nominated for an award was director George Stevens, an RKO contractee brought to MGM at Hepburn's insistence. And need we remind you at this late date of the subsequent lifelong romance between stars Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn? ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Spencer Tracy - Sam Craig
- Katharine Hepburn - Tess Harding
- Fay Bainter - Ellen Whitcomb
- Reginald Owen - Clayton
- William Bendix - Pinkie Peters
Most Helpful ReviewsSee all reviews
Great ClassicJuly 7, 2017
The first pairing of Tracy and Hepburn is a classic. Beautiful black and white transfer.
I would recommend this to a friend
Reviews Mentioning: Read all Reviews
Looks like we're having trouble displaying reviews for this feature
0 out of 0 found this review helpful.