The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Collection [3 Discs] [DVD]
- SKU: 8366948
- Release Date: 07/24/2007
This reviewer was never a huge fan of the character Woody Woodpecker, but Universal has done such a good job with this set, that it was enjoyable nonetheless. The classic 1940's Walter Lantz cartoons look extraordinary, much of their Technicolor liuster restored for this appearance -- In addition to Woody Woodpecker, other characters featured include Andy Panda and Chilly Willy, plus a look at Lantz's early intersection with Walt Dasney, on Oswald The Rabbit -- the latter cartoons are in black-and-white, while everything else intended for theatrical showing is in color. The Lantz cartoons of the 1940's were, in many ways, as loaded with satirical jab (and some overt racism in their images) as the classic Warner Bros. cartoons, perhaps a bit more heavyhanded in their humor but just as piercing in their way, and very funny at times. Each disc opens automatically to an easy-to-use multi-layered menu, each of which includes as a bonus feature one or more of the featurettes that Lantz prepared for the Woody Woodpecker television show of the late 1950's, when these cartoons were brought to television in an effort to compete with Disney's growing TV presence. There is also one theatrical newsreel, "Cartoon Mysteries," and a wraparound feature about Woody Woodpecker's origins.
Item you're currently viewing
- The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Collection [3 Discs] (DVD) (Black & White) (English)
- Walter, Woody and the world of animation: discover the origins of Woody Woodpecker and his friends
- Behind-the-scenes with Walter Lantz: six segments from the Woody Woodpecker Show tv series
- The Woody Woodpecker Show tv episode: this special Halloween show features the original cartoon "Spook-a-Nanny"
- Cartloonland mysteries: go behind the scenes as an Oswald and Lucky Rabbit cartoon is created