Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $39.99
QuestionDoes the 3rd generation have Alexa? So all you have to do is ask it a question and need no other equipment?
- Answer Yes. And the speaker itself is much better than the 1st and 2nd generation!
QuestionMy Mom doesn't use a smartphone. Is it possible for me to set up an Echo Dot or Echo in her apt using my smartphone for the Alexa app ... and then can I use this to check in on her and start a conversation without her needing to issue a command to answer?
- Answer Yes you can set up the Echo on your acct/smartphone BUT if you call her using another Echo on your account in your house let's say, she will hear the Echo 'ringing' and will need to say, "Alexa, answer the call' for her Echo to pick up and start the speaker phone call from you. My 80+ year old mom can do this. Suggest you write the answer call phrase on an index card and leave it with her if needed, plus good to 'demo' the process with her on a landline and you on your phone, so you & she can see how it words and sounds.
- Answer It works with your free subscription to Pandora, You Tube or Spotify. Just ask Alexa to play music on one of these music services.
QuestionHow do I set this up?
- Answer First download the Alexa app on your device, then plug in your echo dot , the echo dot light will turn light red/orange while pairing with your phone then wait for the light to turn blue and Alexa will say hello , then follow the instructions on the Alexa app. On the app just add the device to your list and scan the unique scan code that’s include inside the echo dot box. After set up just ask Alexa anything.
- Answer Yes. I setup my first 2 from my laptop. Now I have a Chromebook and setup the last one I purchased from it. I don't have the app on my phone because I use the phone primarily for work and want to keep my contacts private. PS - use all 3, none of them went bad.
- Answer The look and sound. It is way louder with a little more bass.
QuestionI bought the echo dot I don't know what app to get on my I phone for this product. can you please helpmeet with the app
- Answer Download the free “Amazon Alexa” app
- Answer Yes. Most definitely it can be used for an alarm clock. I have mine setup to wake me up at the same time every weekday for work. You can tap on the top of Echo Dot to "snooze" and just say "Alexa stop" to turn the alarm off. You don't have to do anything else and then morning alarm will sound the next weekday automatically. You can setup multiple alarms for different days and times if you need to. It works great!
QuestionAny experience with multiple echo dots in same house?? I have 3 kids, 3 separate kindles for them, if I set it up with an echo dot in each room (mainly for music) will it work properly???
- Answer It should work fine in multiple rooms. Only challenge you might face if you have a small house then if one kid is yelling at his Alexa device other 2 will activate too and bug everyone else. Good idea would be to name them differently, 1) Alexa , 2) Amazon, 3) Echo .. so each kid has personal wake up name for Alexa and they won't mess with each other.
- Answer Yes. We have custom lists (which end up being stored in your amazon account) for items we need. “Alexa, add paper towels to Costco” and she will add that into into the list named Costco. One nice benefit is that you can stream multiple items in a single sentence to Alexa and they will all be added individually. To access the lists, you would use the Alexa app on your phone and pull them up when at the store.
- Answer In the Alexa app, you can create a group. When you click on devices, create a speaker group. Add the devices that you want to that group, Then, when you play a song, say "Play <Awesome song here> on the <Group Name> group". we have a group called everywhere and it plays on all of the echo dots.
QuestionCan this be paired with the Sony and JBL bluetooth wireless portable speakers or must the speakers be cinnected by wire
- Answer The Echo Dot 3rd gen has bluetooth so yes you can link the Echo Dot to a JBL or Sony speaker with bluetooth. The Echo Dot has a 3.5mm audio port as well so you can use a 3.5mm audio cable to wire the Dot to a speaker with a 3.5mm audio port. Hope that's helpful.
- Answer Yes, if you set a timer that is less than 1 hour the clock changes to a countdown timer. If the timer is longer than 1 hour it does not change the clock, it adds a white dot to the top right of the time.
QuestionCan I use this with another one and create an intercom system? What accessories go with this?
- Answer The feature is called "drop in" if you want to learn more.
QuestionCan I set up an Alexa without a smartphone or computer if I have WIFI available. I live in an assisted living facility where there is WiFi. There is also an Alexa in the living room but I would like to have my own in my room.
- Answer Here is a step by step on how to set it up without a smartphone https://www.techenhancedlife.com/citizen-research/how-set-alexa-calling-loved-one
QuestionI am cutting the cable cord and getting Frontier for phone and internet. I have a cable box currently connected to my (older) sound system. Does the Echo dot connect to the internet on it's own or do I have to connect it to my pc?
- Answer You must connect it to your WiFi. All devices must be on the same WiFi system in order for them to connect and interact properly.
- Answer No - it has auto dimming built in that you can activate
- Answer No you do not need other equipment other than a Wi-Fi