Questions & Answers
QuestionCan you pair Arlo pro 2 cameras with this system as well? We have 2 arlo pro 2 cameras we would like to utilize on the new system if possible.
- Answer Yes, you can use both cameras, but you have to use the Arlo Ultra base station.
QuestionHow are all these reviews in on cameras that haven't been released? Sorry if Im missing something here..
- Answer They were originally released on 1/13/19. I purchased them in store on that date. There have been software issues that Arlo is working hard to correct. They are progressing but perhaps they pulled the system until they're happier with the software.
- Answer Camera batteries last anywhere from 2 days for the Ultra cameras that have heave traffic and as long as 3 weeks for the Pro II cameras that have little traffic. Anyone that really wants true security will quickly realize they need to add an AC power cord to any important camera - especially if you want it to catch the first 3 seconds of any event..... FYI, a person can open a door and walk in and out of the camera view faster then a camera turns on and can record anything meaningful - so it's important to use the 3 second pre record that occurs with a camera that has continuous power.
- Answer Arlo says 300ft but you have to know that thick walls, concrete, floors and metal decrease that distance. They do not tell you however that an exterior and 1 interior wall will significantly degrade the performance to max of about 45 feet (in my experience).
- Answer I've been fighting with them for 4 days about this. They should send you the code when you activate the base. However, that doesn't work most of the time. SO, what you have to do (according to their technical support) is get your camera(s) near the base again. Factory reset your base. Un-register the base and cameras. Then RE-register and set everything back up again from scratch. THEN, they say, you should get the code. If THAT doesn't work, they can do a work-around and have their Arlo Smart Plan team send you a code or just activate your account. Why can't they just do that to begin with? They can't say. It's a disaster of a process and makes no sense.
QuestionDo the Ultra cameras have improved motion detection compared to the Pro 2? I currently get false alerts when the Pro 2 detects shadows from tree limbs. I would like to upgrade only if the Ultra has improved motion detection.
- Answer Can't answer your question regarding comparison, but I had the same issue with the Ultra regarding shadows/tree and resolved it by lowering motion sensitivity to 65% and limit the motion detection area.
QuestionI just bought the new black cameras, can the motion spot lights be manually turned off on individual camera if wanted?
- Answer Yes, under the video settings on the app for the camera you want to adjust go to low light settings and you can turn off the spot light. It can be done individually for each camera.
QuestionUltra users reported problems with their cameras in the early versions. I heard Arlo stopped selling them for 1-2 months to issue fixes. As of early April 2019, have these issues been fixed? Any complaints from recent buyers of Ultras? Thanks.
- Answer Yes, I’ve had to return mine as not fit for purpose. I brought mine on 4/29/19. I’ve left a review on the BestBuys site explaining the negatives, rather than repeating here.
QuestionCorrect me if I'm mistaken. The camera signal is wireless (wi-fi), and the camera uses a rechargeable battery (no wires). Can the camers be hard wired to a transformer so I don't have to deal with recharging? I don't really want solar panels on the house.
- Answer Yes, you can install the cameras and use the charger cord on them 24/7. The cords can be purchased online with an extended length.
QuestionWhat is the best memory disk to use on the Arlo Ultra base station? Any special brand name , memory size , and speed type?
- Answer I first bought a 256 G Microcenter card that didn't work. I bought a 32G Sandisk card that worked fine. I could not find any recommendations or specs in the Arlo support site but saw some responses in the Arlo community. Arlo needs to address this issue on their support site.
- Answer No, this kit does not come with a power cord for each camera. The Arlo Ultra system comes with one magnetic charging cable.
QuestionCan you use WiFi network extenders or a mesh network to help boost the distance from the cameras to the base?
- Answer No. You have to have more base stations and plug into each node.
- Answer Without Arlo Smart subscription, you can add up to 5 cameras to your Arlo account, live stream, and receive motion and audio notifications. Please check this link to learn more about Arlo Smart plans : https://kb.arlo.com/88/. ^RM
- Answer The Arlo Ultra's SmartHub can support up to 15 cameras as long the service plan of the account supports the total number of the added cameras. ^RM
Questionthese look exactly what i'm looking for, just for around the home, except, I need 8 cameras, so no bare areas. Can you add more cameras? or do you buy two (4) camera packages? do you have to log in twice on different accounts to see you cameras?
- Answer Yes, you can purchase individual camera's and add them they will all run off one hub.
- Answer You actually get a year for free. After that, you can just buy an SD card and you don’t have to pay for the cloud.
QuestionHi I will be in the US in a few weeks, if i buy this; will it work in the UK? or do i need to buy anything special ? A
- Answer It will work fine in the UK , you will need an adapter to convert the US power adapter to UK plug BUT be careful with these as you need a 12 month free code for recording which I never got and I have had lots of hassle ending up after 4 weeks of back and forth with Arlo having to buy the subscription and waiting on Arlo for a refund which they promised would be a week but still waiting after 3 ! I also believe I have issues with the cameras ! Not as easy as the older cameras ! Pro 2 been the best .... no subs and just worked !!
QuestionIs the Ultra 4 camera 4k system able to be wifi connected to, and view cameras from, a home computer instead of a smart phone? Also does the front door bell have to have its own system or can it connect to the 4k system along with the 4 cams?
- Answer Yes, you have pretty much the same accessibility portal options either in a computer or a smart phone. As far as the front door bell, yes, it is fully compatible with the same base station where the cameras are connected (there is a limited number of devices for each station though, for the free/non-membership option is up to 5).