Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $134.99
The regular price is $199.99
QuestionUploading DVD collectionMy main purpose for this unit would be to upload my DVD collection and music files. I want the ability to access these files over the internet from my electronic device (phone, laptop). Is this possible?
- Answer Yes, it is doable. I have done it provided the internet connection is fast. This is needed for movies and videos.
- Answer Yes. You will see this as a new drive letter (assuming you're using Windows) when you plug it into the USB port of your computer.
QuestionCan this device be used by both Mac and PC together?I know the description says that this device is both Mac and PC compatable but can it be used by both together? Are seperate partitions needed? What is the file system used?
- Answer it works with both simultaneously, I have not needed to partition the drive at all. I was thinking, like you, that I may need to do that, but no, the setup is simple and will back up multiple machines--any mix of PCs or Macs.
QuestionHow does the security work?How does the security work for Seagate Cloud Storage? Is there any login or password protection?
- Answer Yes, you must enter a password every time your either logoff, or reboot your computer. There are two 'partitions', if you will, a Public one and a Private one. ANYONE can access the Public folder(s), but only you, the administrator, can access the Private folder(s), but you MUST ENTER A PASSWORD. Passwords are secure and unless you give it out, you should't have any security issues.
QuestionI have loaded movies from my apple phone to my 4tb external drive but when I play the videos they studder/stop. What could be the problem?When I play the videos I uploadd they stop/studder. Any ideas?
- Answer It could have different reasons. For one thing the hard drive has only a speed of 5400 RPM. The other thing could be also your overall network speed. I for myself noticed it too that the speed is not the greatest and I would not recommend this device for video streaming - not even for home network.
QuestionWorked great then stopped.Was working fine for a few days, then I pressed reboot command from the main menu. After 15 minutes drive still could not be found on network. Now I cannot find drive anywhere and I power cycle but drive is gone from network. What to do?
- Answer Please go to Seagate's website and download the Seagate Central Discovery Tool for Windows and run that program. It will locate your drive and get it working again for you. It worked for me.
QuestionLocal access, is it direct or via internet?I have a similar device on my network at home but when accessing files from it whilst on the same network, I have to log in through the web application. Does this device provide local access directly to the drive(s) through the network or does it go through a web application also?
- Answer This is an internal drive. It doesn't go through a network. The interface is SATA not ethernet or wireless
- Answer As far as I researched, no. It's like a large file cabinet that you can put onto the web if you choose. However, I suggest contacting Seagate who is very nice and helpful. They have better knowledge on their products.
- Answer My experience would advise that performance will depend on the actual router it is connected to. Also for some reason on the Cisco/Linksys and Netgear routers that I have done this with seem to only be reliable if using a 3.0 powered drive like a 2.5 inch portable drive. It seems that most of the larger 3.5 external drives will spin down to save energy and that causes the OS in the router to lose connection with the drive controller. Even updating the firmware has not solved that on some Netgear routers. Other users may not have that problem but my recommendation is to only use a smaller 2.5 drive powered by the USB 3.0 only. The best results for storage connected to a router is probably just a flash drive. If you need more than flash drive size you are probably better just buying a network or NAS drive and not using a USB connection drive.