Ratings & Reviews
- Deleted scenes
- "The Making of Crimson Tide"
- All Access: "On the Set of Crimson Tide"
- Movie Showcase: instant access to select movie scenes that showcase the ultimate in high definition picture and sound
Two leaders with different philosophies about battle and leadership wage war with each other in this tense military thriller. Capt. Frank Ramsey (Gene Hackman) is the commanding officer of a nuclear submarine, the U.S.S. Alabama. Ramsey is a distinguished veteran near the end of his career, and he leads his men with an iron hand; as he puts it, "We're here to preserve democracy, not to practice it." Ramsey is assigned a new second-in-command, Lt. Cmmdr. Ron Hunter (Denzel Washington); Hunter is much younger than Ramsey, Harvard educated, and believes the goal of the military in the nuclear age is to prevent war, not fight it. While at sea, word reaches the Alabama that a splinter group of Russian forces have seized missile silos, and the ship is put on red alert. The Alabama has orders to fire, but as it is receiving a new incoming order the radio malfunctions. It's Ramsey's contention that an order is an order and they are to move forward with the attack, while Hunter feels if there is any question at all about their mission, they should wait until they can receive further instruction, with Hunter going so far as to threaten mutiny against Ramsey if the missile strike is carried out. Quentin Tarantino and Robert Towne both contributed to the screenplay without credit. ~ Mark Deming, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Denzel Washington - Lt. Commander Ron Hunter
- Gene Hackman - Capt. Frank Ramsey
- George Dzundza - Cob
- Viggo Mortensen - Lt. Peter (Weps) Ince
- James Gandolfini - Lt. Bobby Dougherty