Thankfully, this was inexpensive or I would be returning this BEFORE looking for a replacement.
1) This item claims to hold up to a 19” screen. I have an ASUS ROG with a 17.3” display; my laptop overhangs the sides of the cooler by a full half inch, on all sides.
2) This item is advertised as “quiet”. If you remember what your computer sounded like in 1994, then yes, I suppose it could be advertised as “quiet”.
3) This item is advertised as having “extra USB capabilities”. Let’s be clear: there are exactly TWO USB ports on the back; it takes one USB port and provided cord to power and connect the cooling pad to your laptop, using a USB port. Therefore, the two used ports cancel one another out; the additional USB port on the back of the cooling pad CANNOT, by definition, be an “EXTRA USB PORT”, as it simply acts as an unregulated USB compatible port to “replace” the used USB port on your computer. Always be dubious of “extra” unregulated power sources; regardless of the power you put into your laptop (properly grounded vs. overloaded power outlet), your laptop is putting out exactly 6v/12v DC and 110v/60hz CONDITIONED (“clean/safe” power), out of EVERY USB and any other powered connection/hub. Just because your laptop is providing the cooler with “clean/safe” power, does NOT mean that the cooler has the proper capacitors, resistors and power gateways to GUARANTEE that you’ll have “clean/safe” power on its return USB outlet.
4) This item is flimsy; if you have an “above average” laptop for gaming, development, enterprise, etc., weight and stability might be a concern; it has proven troublesome for my ROG.
5) * Most Importantly *: Sadly, this item is VERY slippery; it is cheaply made and lacks proper “anti-stick” pads on the front; they are made of cheap foam – it does NOT stick to your laptop. The same goes for the feet on the front of the cooler; cheap slippery foam. There is ZERO anti-slip padding on the four optional raised feet in the rear. There are two tabs on the top-front of the cooler that flip-up to help keep your laptop in place; they are also covered in cheap, slippery foam; they also present a problem of not being adjustable or in my case, unable to stop my larger than average gaming laptop from sliding forward and off the cooler, if the legs are raised in ANY WAY.
This item has ONE redeeming quality, one that will keep it in my family (it works fine for my teenager’s low to mid-grade laptops and flip/touchscreens 16”-17” (those laptops are however, are much thinner and lighter than mine)), is that it does ONE thing it advertises: it keeps your laptop COOL. I am running 64GB RAM, 2x512MB SSDs, 3TB HDD and a VERY high-end GPU with two i7 quad core processors; needless to say, my laptop runs HOT, even with its installed liquid cooler and duel exhaust (43-52* C (110-120*+ F), on average; 74* C is the furthest I’ve pushed it on overclock), it has previously scalded my legs through a “lap desk”. This cooler, even with its loud fans, cheap pads and construction, keeps the backside of my laptop very cool to the touch. Mean result testing of Battery/Power Saver, Moderate (plugged in) and High Performance (everything maxed), there is an overall cooling percentage greater than the laptop’s OEM cooling system of more than 61%.
Congratulations on doing the one thing advertised on the box: COOLING.