Ratings & Reviews
- Digitally mastered audio and anamorphic video
- Widescreen presentation
- Audio: English 5.1 [Dolby Digital] and 2-channel [Dolby Surround], French, Spanish, Portuguese
- Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Thai
- Director and cinematographer's commentary
- Isolated 5.1 music score with composer Mark Isham's commentary
- "HBO Special: Leading the Flock"
- Exclusive featurette: "Operation Migration: Birds of a Feather"
- Documentary: "The Ultra Geese"
- Theatrical trailers
- Animated menus
- Scene selections
- Production notes
Inspired by a true story, Fly Away Home is a family drama about Amy Alden (Anna Paquin), a 13-year-old girl who, after the tragic death of her mother, is sent to live with her father Thomas (Jeff Daniels), a sculptor. Amy misses her mother and has never enjoyed a very warm relationship with her father, so the first few months in her new home are very difficult for her. However, one day Amy finds a nest full of eggs, which was tossed away by land developers clearing a wooded area. Amy brings the eggs home and builds a makeshift incubator; a few weeks later, a flock of tiny Canadian Geese are hatched. While caring for her new pets makes Amy happier, a problem soon presents itself -- young geese "imprint" on the first creature they see after hatching and follow it, as if it's their mother. Without a mother to show them how to fly south for the winter, how will they learn normal migratory patterns? Thomas comes up with a solution to the problem: as a hobby, he flies Ultralights, lightweight aircraft that look like gliders with engines. If he puts Amy in an Ultralight and has her fly the migratory route to the South, perhaps the birds will follow her and learn the route their mother would normally teach them. Amy's adventures help her learn about independence as she tries to teach it to the birds, bringing her closer to her father. ~ Mark Deming, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Jeff Daniels - Thomas Alden
- Anna Paquin - Amy Alden
- Dana Delany - Susan Barnes
- Terry Kinney - David Alden
- Holter Graham